Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] SPX computer conecting to Garmin 4212
01-29-18, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-18 10:02 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] SPX computer conecting to Garmin 4212
tgsail1,

Per our phone conversation, I believe that your best option at this point may be the following:
- create two powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbones.
---- backbone #1 will feature the autopilot course computer and the p70 autopilot control head (updated with the latest software)
---- backbone #2 will feature a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter (updated with v2.03 software), iTC-5, i70S, i50, and third party MFD
- The SeaTalk port of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be interfaced to the autopilot course computer's unpowered (move switch to OFF position) SeaTalk port

The system described above should permit the autopilot to be operated in Auto Mode, independently of whether backbone#2 is powered. Additionally, the MFD need not be switched ON to have the autopilot receive wind data when interfaced in this manner. Wind, GPS, navigational data, and other supported data items will be bridged by the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to SeaTalk for use by the autopilot course computer.

It is recommended that this equipment be installed in a temporary fashion and that communications be tested before committing to permanent installation. Should interfacing these products as specified within this post not only permit the autopilot to sail to wind, but to also receive navigational data in support of the autopilot's Track mode feature, then it would be necessary to interface the third party MFD via NMEA 0183 communications alone to the system.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA] SPX computer conecting to Garmin 4212 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-29-18 03:38 PM