Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AIS hookup to e95 - Standard Horizon Matrix GX2200 - Wire help
07-19-17, 08:48 AM
RE: AIS hookup to e95 - Standard Horizon Matrix GX2200 - Wire help
Q1. I read that the MFD's are designed as read-only and will not create a network signal so other Raymarine equipment can read the NMEA data coming in. But I thought I also read that the MFD's will share data with each other via the Raynet cable. Does this mean that I can hook up the VHF/AIS radio to send its output to one of the MFD's, and the same AIS data will be available would be available for display on the sister MFD across the cockpit as well?
A1. As indicated within the other thread which you had posted regarding data sharing between the MFDs, when interfaced to one another via Ethernet communications, the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs will share all data sources except for NTSC/PAL video sources. Accordingly, should the NMEA 0183 output of the AIS receiver be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input port of one of the MFDs, then AIS data will be shared between the MFDs. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this troubleshooting reception of AIS data. Note: any testing must be performed via the MFD which has been directly interfaced to the AIS transceiver.

Q2. I dug back behind the radio and pulled out the NMEA output wires and took a picture (see attachment). The side with the unattached white and yellow wires is the radio-side, but I can't tell what the other side is (the one with the wires cut off). The wire colors look different than those described in the e95 installation manual - for example, the installation manual says the color should be W/G/Y/Br/OW/OG but as you can see here one of the cables is blue. I tried to trace both of the Power/NMEA/Video cables coming out of the MFD but both of them disappear into black holes inside the boat and can't tell where else they head off to.
A2. Unfortunately, should the cables have been extended, then it would be necessary to perform either locate the splice or perform continuity testing to determine whether 1) the cable shown within your photo is actually connected to the MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable and 2) what signal is being carried by each of the leads shown within your photo.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: AIS hookup to e95 - Standard Horizon Matrix GX2200 - Wire help - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-19-17 08:48 AM