Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] i60 True wind not working
01-07-18, 08:07 PM
RE: [CA] i60 True wind not working
Hi Chuck,
Thanks for your help (and patience). First, your troubleshooting recommendations:

- The two STng spur cable coming off the ST-STng converter are no longer than 3m.
- Only one data source for speed, the i50 Tridata.
- The e97 was using the MFD-connected fishfinder transducer for depth as well as the i50 tridata. I switched it to the i50 just in case that was the issue. It wasn't.
- I no longer think this is an issue with the e97's COG output, as when the i60's true wind display is working it will show up while the e97 is still booting. Ditto when the i60's true wind display is *not* working. It seems to be a network issue.
- When the red power connector is removed from the ST4000+ and the field and yellow remain plugged in, the i60's true wind will *not* display. The ST4000+, i50 tridata, and i60 wind are all powered up.

Here's where it gets weirder. I disconnected power to the ST4000+ and restarted everything for the next two tests. The only power going to the seatalk cable was coming from the ST-STng converter.
- When the seatalk field and yellow are connected to the ST4000+ but the red is disconnected, the i60's true wind displays fine after restart.
- When all three seatalk wires are connected (field, yellow, and red), the i60's true wind does *not* display after restart.

There does not seem to be a way to change the state of the i60's true wind display after it has restarted. If the display comes up with the "three bars" no amount of unplugging wires or restarting individual components (such as the e97 or i50) will correct it. Conversely, if the i60 comes up with the true wind displaying correctly I can plug in power to the ST4000+, put in the ST4000+'s seatalk power, restart the i50 or e97 and it will continue to display correctly. The i60's true wind condition gets set on the initial startup.

Right now I just have seatalk disconnected from the ST4000+. For the kind of sailing I'm doing now it's more important to have true wind that to be able to control the autopilot from the MFD. The autopilot still works but I can't enable track mode. This will be an issue in a few months.

I'm trying to imagine what's wrong. The seatalk cable is the same one I was using with the ST4000+ and ST50 wind, depth, and speed instruments plugged into the same ST-STng converter. I'd say it's a software issue with the old ST4000+, but I could duplicate the problem with the autopilot turned OFF!

Could it be a component? I know my ST-STng converter is fairly old even though the software is up-to-date. Has the hardware been updated?

Thanks again.

- Mick
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA] i60 True wind not working - hwturn - 10-14-17, 04:05 PM
RE: [CA] i60 True wind not working - mlaver - 01-07-18 08:07 PM