Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] i60 True wind not working
02-08-18, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-18 05:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] i60 True wind not working
Mic,

Notes / recommendations regarding your system diagram. In the case of sailing vessels, it is generally recommended that the instrument pod form one end of the system's backbone due to minimize the number cables chased through binacle tubes. Accordingly, the following would have been recommended for this installation:
- the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would have been installed within the instrument pod and would have one termination plug installed within one of its backbone sockets ... this will eliminate the SeaTalk cable which is currently chased down the binacle tube
- an unpowered SeaTalk cable would have been run from the ST4000+'s SeaTalk socket to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
- the i50 instrument would be interfaced to one of the spur sockets of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter ... a 400mm SeaTalkng Spur Cable should suffice
- the i60 instrument would be interfaced to one of the spur sockets of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter ... a 400mm SeaTalkng Spur Cable should suffice
- a 1m SeaTalkng Backbone Cable will be connected to a the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's remaining backbone socket and this backbone cable will then be chased into the MFD's pod ... this single backbone cable replaces the single spur which had previously been chased from below decks into the instrument pod
- a SeaTalkng T-Piece will be connected to the 1m SeaTalkng backbone cable inside of the MFD's pod.
- a SeaTalkng Spur Cable would be used to interface the spur socket of the SeaTalkng T-Piece to the MFD's SeaTalkng socket ... a 400mm SeaTalkng Spur Cable should suffice
- a SeaTalkng Backbone Cable would be connected to the remaining backbone socket of the SeaTalkng T-Piece and will be chased through the binacle tubes below decks ... this replaces the remaining SeaTalkng Spur Cable which had been chased through the binacle tubes.
- the SeaTalkng Backbone Cable will be connected to a SeaTalkng T-Piece, 5-Way Connector, or Inline Coupler, which in turn will be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone cable to which the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter had originally been connected within your diagram.

Finally, it is strongly recommended that SeaTalkng cables not be spliced unless absolutely necessary due challenges in splicing its very small wire. Improper splices may also result in intermittent data communications ... the symptom which we are presently seeking to correct in this installation.

The only other way that I can suggest getting this to work with your ST4000+ would to disconnect the i50 and i60 instruments from the SeaTalkng backbone and instead, daisy chain them to the ST4000+'s second SeaTalk socket. Doing so will effectively cause the i50 and i60 instruments to function as SeaTalk rather than SeaTalkng devices.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA] i60 True wind not working - hwturn - 10-14-17, 04:05 PM
RE: [CA] i60 True wind not working - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-08-18 05:17 PM