Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Adding STNG and N2K to exisiting Seatalk
02-14-18, 11:42 AM
RE: [CA] Adding STNG and N2K to exisiting Seatalk
Grant,

Q1. Thanks for clarifying that the C-120's ST port does actually output 12V onto the buss - I have received conflicting information on this. I have an unused R55006 Junction box, that I think I could use to break out the red power leads from each MFD, and combine the yellow/drain wires together to make a single SeaTalk connector to the E25049 5-way block. Does this sound acceptable?
A1. Yes.

Q2. I understand the SeaTalk-SeaTalk NG convertor does NOT support data bridging of AIS data from the STNG buss to the ST bus. Fortunately the Em-trak B300 unit has both N2K and NMEA 0183 outputs, as well as multiplexing capability, so I should be able to get the 0183HS data directly to both C-120's NMEA ports, as well as on to the N2K network for translation by the Actisense gateway as well. At least, that's the plan.
A2. Regarding bridging of AIS data to SeaTalk, it is more correct stated that the SeaTalk communications protocol does support transmission of AIS data. Otherwise, the statement is correct.

Q3. If I buy a new E22158 kit, wouldn't it automatically ship with the latest firmware? I know I can't update it from a C-120, which is unfortunate... how do I confirm the firmware version before I leave the store??
A3. During manufacturing Raymarine products are programmed with the latest available software. However, should the product remain long enough in the dealer's or distributor's inventory, then the software within the product may not be current. The software level of a device may easily be determined by interfacing it to a compatible MFD which is running the latest LightHouse II or LightHouse 3 software ... check with dealer. Additionally, the packaging of the product may feature a label identifying the version of software installed within its memory.

Q4. Also - does RM publish a list of approved PGN-Seatalk sentences that are supported over the SeaTalk-SeatalkNG convertor yet? If not, is that in the works, or are they intentionally withholding that information?
A4. The documentation for the ST-STng Converter has not been updated since it was introduced. At that time, no mention was made of NMEA 2000 and the ST-STng Converter has not been NMEA 2000 Certified. That said, it is quite commonly used for this purpose. A feature request has been submitted to request that this document be updated to include a list of supported PGNs and SeaTalk data items supported.

Q5. Finally - having a difficult time getting the software upgraded to 5.16 on the C-120's, using a 8MB Compact Flash card, cleanly formatted as FAT, and just the two .DOB and .pkg files in the root directory. Is there any reason this shouldn't work? I got two blue screens and gave up... (see attached)
A4. The symptoms shown are indicative of a CF memory card which is not compatible with the MFD's memory card reader or with a memory card reader which may be failing. The reader may be tested by verifying its ability to access cartography from the Navionics chart card. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing recommendations for obtaining a compatible CF memory card which has been populated with the final software update files for your display.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA] Adding STNG and N2K to exisiting Seatalk - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-14-18 11:42 AM