Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Adding STNG and N2K to exisiting Seatalk
02-14-18, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-18 09:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] Adding STNG and N2K to exisiting Seatalk
Chuck, thank you again for your detailed and timely response. I appreciate the clarification on Q2, and the other answers.
Re Q4, just to confirm, when I asked about a list of "PGN to SeaTalk sentences" that were supported, I was referring to the STNG messages (as opposed to NMEA2000 PGN's) that were translatable on to the Seatalk1 buss - and vice-versa. I'm not clear how RM refers to the messages carried over STNG, I thought you used standard NMEA 2000 PGN terminology, but perhaps not. And I REALLY don't know how to refer to data messages under SeaTalk, as they are obviously not referred to by 0183 sentences (GGA, STW, etc). But that was my question, trying to ensure that the needed data from the SeaTalk side (Depth, GPS position, course/nav information for the autopilot from the C-120, etc) will make it over to the STNG side, and also as much useful and available STNG/NMEA2000 data make the translation to the SeaTalk side.

Re Q5, I read over the links, that was helpful. One thing I caught was that in addition to the 128MB maximum size, there was also a mention of a 32MB minimum - so perhaps, my 8MB card was just to "small" for the MFD to read. The MFD does read a Navionics chart card just fine, so I'll try another CF card and see.

Finally (for today!) - if I encounter other questions/issues during this install, can or should I append to this post, or would you prefer I create new posts in specific forums (Autopilot, AIS, MFD's, etc.)?
Many thanks,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA] Adding STNG and N2K to exisiting Seatalk - Grantj - 02-14-18 03:31 PM