Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Adding STNG and N2K to exisiting Seatalk
02-15-18, 03:56 PM
RE: [CA] Adding STNG and N2K to exisiting Seatalk
Grant,

Q1: Should I take this to mean that there will be no future updates for this series of MFD?
A1: Correct. Three generations of Raymarine MDS have been introduced since production of the C-Series Classic MFDs ended.

Q2: Based on the Statistics data pages (attached), it appears that the GPS is currently providing inputs via SeaTalk, and the MFD is providing outputs (to the VHF) via 0183 - would you agree?
A2: Correct.

Q3: Did the RS125 receiver output BOTH 0183 AND SeaTalk sentences simultaneously? The manual shows wiring connection options for both, but it's unclear if there were two different versions of RS125 (like the RS120), or that it just outputs two different formats simultaneously.
A3. Negative. Depending upon how the RS125 was interfaced to the system, it would either support NMEA 0183 communications or SeaTalk communications, but could not simultaneously communicate via both protocols.

Q4: If yes to above, is it possible to "split" the data output of the RS125 at a junction box, with one feed to the VHF radios (0183), and the other feed to the SeaTalk connectors on the (2) C-120's?
A4: Negative

Q4(b): If Yes to above - could you provide a suggested wiring diagram for the split?
A4(b): N/A

Q5: If no to the split - any other ideas on how to get GPS data to the VHF's? I have to configure the single 0183 Port on the MFD's to 38,400 for the AIS in, so I can't use a 38,400 output for the VHF. I'm running out of ideas (other than introducing multiple N2K-0183 gateways for each VHF, or some other unwieldy Rube Goldberg setup)...
A5: Should an E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit be added to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 0183 backbone, then its 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output may be split to supply GPS data to both VHF radios. This option has the advantage not requiring the MFDs to be switched on when using the VHF radios. The $GP Talker ID is included within NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted by the VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit, making it compatible with VHF radios from a wider range of manufacturers.

Alternatively, you may want to consider whether you really need AIS data to be sent to both MFDs. While is quite common to split a 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 signal to supply data to up to three devices, it is not typically recommended that 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 be split, Should this be satisfactory, then the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output of one of the MFDs may be split to supply GPS data to the VHF radios. The $EC Talker ID is included within NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted by the C-Series Classic MFDs, making it incompatible with some VHF radios of some third party manufacturers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA] Adding STNG and N2K to exisiting Seatalk - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-15-18 03:56 PM