Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(DG) Replacing ST50 or ST50+ masthead Transducer
06-18-19, 09:26 AM
RE: (DG) Replacing ST50 or ST50+ masthead Transducer
Hi [censored],

Check if there are any data loops in the network, are there any 3 rd party products connected to the network? Do you have a schematic of everything that is connected to the network and how it is connected?

The ST50 wind did not have a factory reset capability, this was introduced in the ST60 and ST60+ displays, from your description it sounds like either there is corrupted data on the SeaTalk network or the display output is faulty.

regards
Derek
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-19, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-19 08:32 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Derek

Sorry no schematic on me, System is 4 ST50 (Speed, Wind,Compass,Depth) on 1 ST network, I just installed/connected from the end of daisy chain to ST-STNG converter, converter connects to the STNG 5 way connector block supplied with EVO1 Wheel kit.
No other products yet, I have ordered a Actisense NGW1-USB to take data to PC, but not installed. No other data streams.
I admit during the EVO install I haven’t put the EMF magnet on the P70 yet, or thought I missed grounding one bare shield cable from memory( but thinking now I must of?? Will check, would of only been power to ACU??) The cable from ST network is only using spade connector pushed into ST cable supplied as wanted to test before chopping plugs and soldering. All other data including Wind speed is stable and the same on P70 and all ST50’s (though don’t use ST50 compass on P70).
I also noted the vane of masthead was slightly damaged so ordered vane/cup kit and will install on weekend, but ST50 was reading ok.
I presume you might suggest output from ST50 wind is faulty, however would that be isolated to direction only? Wind speed is fine. Or would lack of 1 magnet, or 1 shield wire to ground, or non soldered joint cause interference to 1 data signal? I’ll fix the above points, including new vane kit, however if multiple data signal were different or random it would make sense, just 1 signal of direction seems unlikely.
Is there anyway to test or reset ST50 wind? Manual suggests doing 2x360 circles on power up, I also occasionally see when I do minor CAL on a mooring, the ST display doesn’t moves much when pressed < >, 1 degree at a time, and when holding down < > it makes big jumps, but is it limited to +\- 0-9 adjustment as on display, or is it actually going past +\-9 CAL adjustment? And somehow confusing the system?
However, weird part is, occasionally the P70 and ST50 are close to each other, but 1 minute later.... 45degrees, 90degrees in opposite direction or P70 saying I’m going down wind, when I’m close hauled??

Thanks
06-21-19, 09:00 AM
Hi [censored],

Powering the STng converter from both SeaTalk 1 and from STng will create an issue, so make sure the converter is powered only by STng, ensure the red 12v wire in SeaTalk1 is cut back and insulated before it is connected to the yellow socket on the converter.

The calibration of the ST50 masthead unit only showed on the display as 0 to 9, but then restarted at 0 again, so this should not have been an issue.

YOu can test if it is isolated to the display by separating the ST50 wind display from the network and identifying if it performs correctly when isolated, if yes, then disconnect all other ST50 and connect ONLY the ST50 Wind to the converter, if the probblem remains, I would suggest the issue is the ST50 wind display.
Regards

Derek
06-21-19, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-19 12:48 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Derek

Yep, fully understand not to power ST & STNG, power is only from STNG. 12+ wire is not connected.
As a electrical engineer, and my understanding of CANBUS, I can’t see how separating the wind from the other ST network could help diagnose.
Data is data, if it’s corrupted string from Headunit OK, however having other strings of data shouldn’t matter.
Guess I have to expect wind direction output is faulty
06-25-19, 09:02 AM
Hi [censored],

If you just have the wind connected to the SeaTalk network and connected to the converter, is the data correct? if yes, then there is corruption occurring when the other instruments are connected, if no, the fault persists, then thie issue is the display.
Thanks
Derek
08-09-19, 02:21 PM
Hi.
Im after some help. My ST60 wind/close haul is showing direction, but generally 0.00 knots.
Occasionally is rises to 20 something knots and the drops slowly back down again to 0.00... It used to work. The paddles are spinning round.
I've cleaned and soldered all the joints at the bottom of the mast and reconnected the cables and seatalk on the back of the display. I've removed and installed another display, but it does the same thing.
Clearly it's looking like the mast head, but, i've read instructions on another 'moderator' post, and i have these values on the bottom of the mast.
Ground to Blue - 5.2v
Ground to Green - 2.0v - 3.4v varying
Ground to Red - 7.85v
Ground to Yellow - 2.8v
This is sort of in line with the moderators post, and to me suggests the mast head is relaying a signal back down, so is working...BUT its not.
I suppose, i just need a nudge to get up the mast, but don't want to if it's a wasted journey..

Any suggestions??

Thank you
Neil
08-13-19, 03:56 AM
Dear neilgreenfield,

Thank you for the post.

Can you try isolating the wind instrument head from the network, just have the wind transducer connected to the instrument as a standalone unit. This is to eliminate any data corruption on the network.

Do keep in mind you will not get true wind data when doing this as there will be no STW data.

Many Thanks
Louise
08-19-19, 01:19 AM
(03-14-18 01:00 PM)Derek - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  The original masthead wind transducer used by the ST50 range has not been available for many years, it's part number was D168 and was identified by the vertical tube at the outboard end and the angular 'squarish' style cups.

The current masthead transducer, R28170, is identified by the 'egg' shaped body and the hemispherical cups for the anemometer. The R28170 is contained within the E22078 pack, which also contains a new 30m cable and masthead mounting block.

The two masthead units are operationally the same, and both use the same type of 5 pin plug and socket at the top of the mast, however the early masthead transducers did not have a key on the plug to locate the pins correctly in the mounting block sockets which could lead to bent or damaged pins if carelessly inserted.

The later style masthead transducers had a moulded key on the plug and a keyway cut in the socket to ensure the plug and socket were correctly aligned before the securing nut was tightened and so ensured no damage was done to the pins.

It is possible to remove the key to allow later masthead transducers to be fitted to early style mounting blocks, but this is not recommended since it risks damage to the pins; we would recommend replacing the masthead cable and mounting block at the same time as fitting the new masthead transducer

We would point out that the hemispherical cups are more efficient and will rotate faster than the older angular cups, giving a wind speed over reading of 30%. The later ST60 and ST60+ instruments have a wind speed calibration and so this over-reading can be corrected out. The ST50 and ST50+ displays did not have a wind speed correction and so they will over-read the wind speed by 30%.

We would advise to fit the new masthead cable, (we would recommend this is replaced due to the likely age of the old one - cable can fatigue over a period of time) and the new masthead Transducer and it will work with the existing ST50+ wind display, except the wind speed will over read by 30%.

RAYFAQ#

https://khooger.plus/

https://webkavan.com/webdesign/

https://karait.com/

https://www.rootkala.com/

https://www.rootkala.com/product-categor...a7-filter/

https://decokadeh.com/

https://bikhabar.com/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user