Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Add chartplotter to legacy instruments?
03-15-18, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-18 02:31 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Add chartplotter to legacy instruments?
Hi – hoping I can get some help/validation on my upgrading of the Nav system. Not sure which chartplotter I am going to decide on, but currently looking at 9inch displays from RM es97, RM Axiom with remote, Garmin 942 and B&G (zeus3).
Boat is 32’ sailboat. Mostly day sails and light coastal cruising (W Coast of Fl).

Goal 1 – add new chartplotter still leaving my self open for future expansion.

Later goal – upgrade existing instruments (wind/depth/etc) as needed (for future) – not addressing the details of that now, but don’t want to be “locked in.”

Current instruments: see diagram, but I’ll describe it as SmartPilot (w/wheel drive) and ST6002 control panel, ST60+ Wind, ST60+ Tridata. Separate power is supplied to AP and to Tridata. Red power wire is cut between Wind and Tridata.

Proposed to add chartplotter and STng to ST1 converter (see diagram). Current power connection to Tridata would be moved to power spur cable to converter. Chartplotter would connect to the other spur on converter. STng to ST1 cable will plug into converter. 2 terminators on each end of converter. Chartplotter will have separate power feed from breaker/switch panel.

Q1 – does my diagram look ok?
Q2 – I believe my entire backbone is in the converter – is that correct/ok?
Q3 – will my sensor info (wind, depth, temp, rudder position) all flow to the chartplotter?
Q4 – will my chart plotter have any control over the AP?

Future expansion:
Q5 – would likely hook chartplotter to radio via 0183 – this should not affect any of the above – correct?
Q6 – future expansion of the backbone would be as simple as remove a terminator and add more backbone, T or 5way connections with future items (like AIS, or itc-5/i70/etc) and finally a terminator -correct?

thanks...Dave in Tampa

Attached File(s)
.pdf  CurrentInstallation.pdf (Size: 121.77 KB / Downloads: 346)
.pdf  ProposedInstallation.pdf (Size: 140.75 KB / Downloads: 445)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-18, 03:31 PM
RE: [CA] Add chartplotter to legacy instruments?
Q1 – does my diagram look ok?
A1 - Yes

Q2 – I believe my entire backbone is in the converter – is that correct/ok?
A2 - Yes

Q3 – will my sensor info (wind, depth, temp, rudder position) all flow to the chartplotter?
Q3 - Yes

Q4 – will my chart plotter have any control over the AP?
A4 - As long as the MFD continue to run LightHouse II software, it's Autopilot Controls feature may be used. However, if updated with LightHouse 3 software, then the autopilot's control head would need to be used to command the autopilot into Standby, Auto, and Track modes.

Q5 – would likely hook chartplotter to radio via 0183 – this should not affect any of the above – correct?
A5 - Yes

Q6 – future expansion of the backbone would be as simple as remove a terminator and add more backbone, T or 5way connections with future items (like AIS, or itc-5/i70/etc) and finally a terminator -correct?
A6 - Yes
03-16-18, 08:48 PM
Chuck, thanks so much. you all provide a great service and support!

Dave
03-19-18, 08:24 AM
You're welcome.
05-03-18, 12:13 PM
Regarding the spur cable that connects the ChartPlotter to the backbone: Do I need to do anything to isolate power since the CP itself has power as does the backbone?

Does the answer matter if it were a RayMarine CP or other brand (Garmin or B&G)?

Thanks !!
Dave
05-03-18, 12:55 PM
Dave,

Raymarine's a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs and Axiom/Axiom Pro MFDs are not designed to supply power via their SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface. Accordingly, nothing special need be done with respect to blocking power from being supplied by these MFDs to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Should a third party product be capable of supplying power to a NEMA 2000 backbone, then it would be recommended that this feature be switched off or that the appropriate third party cable having no NMEA 2000 power leads be used.
05-03-18, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-18 01:20 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the reply Chuck!
05-03-18, 01:20 PM
You're welcome.