Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Advice on electronics upgrade (new MFD + Radar from C90W)
06-20-18, 03:11 PM
RE: [CA11] Advice on electronics upgrade (new MFD + Radar from C90W)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Teo,

Q1. Ahat is the recommended MFD series for my setup? Opening Raymarine website I find several different series all current (Axiom, Axiom Pro, ES, GS, etc) but not clear what would be the best one
A1. We typically recommend Axiom Pro MFDs for applications where the MFD will be installed within the cockpit of a sailboat.

Q2. Are there compatibility issues with the rest of my equipment? Particularly around the AIS connected to the C90W... would I see AIS data on both MFDs? Or would you recommend connecting it in a different way?
A2. Should the AIS receiver / transceiver and both MFDs each be interface as a spur to the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, then each would have access to AIS data as well as any other system data supported by the MFDs and which is available on the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. C-Series Widescreen MFDs are not designed to be interfaced to an Ethernet network to which another MFD other than one additional retired C-Series Widescreen MFD had been interfaced, the Axiom Pro MFD would be unable to share any high bandwidth system resources (ex. radar, cartography, fishfinder, camera video, etc.) with the C-Series Widescreen MFD.

Q3. Would the radar (quantum or QUantum 2) be visible from both MFD or only from one?
A3. Negative. Please see the response to Q2.

Q4. Do I need additional cables in the cockpit for the new MFD or can I connect it via SeaTalkNG from the signal arriving to one of the ST70? (I have an hub in the pedestal)
A4. Should a backbone cable have been chased through the pedestal tubes and a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector or T-Piece having an unoccupied spur socket be present within the pedestal pod, then the Axiom MFD may indeed be interfaced the currently unoccupied spur socket.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Advice on electronics upgrade (new MFD + Radar from C90W) - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-20-18 03:11 PM