Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Element GPS to external VHF
06-23-19, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-19 01:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Element GPS to external VHF
I have an Element Sounder/GPS and would like to connect a VHF via NMEA so that the radio's GPS position is real time for DSC (if I should ever need it - hopefully never).

It won't be a Raymarine VHF. I would assume one of the seatalk cables but not sure which one I would have to use so that it can plug into the NMEA connector on the Element's cable?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-19, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-19 01:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Element GPS to external VHF
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Cyclo,

Should the VHF radio or SSB feature a NMEA 2000 communications interface, then this communications device and the Element display may each be interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to support communications between these devices. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how a simple backbone may be constructed. As the NMEA 2000 socket of the Element display's Power/NMEA 2000 Cable features a DeviceNet (M) socket, it may be adapted to be mated to a spur socket within the backbone via an A06075 39.4in (1.0m) DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter.

Should the VHF radio or SSB lack a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface and instead feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, then please click here to view a FAQ addressing how GPS data from a MFD having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface may supply GPS data to such a VHF radio or SSB.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply