Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] SPX-5 Virtual Rudder Indicator Shows Rudder Hard Over
01-12-20, 10:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-20 09:25 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] SPX-5 Virtual Rudder Indicator Shows Rudder Hard Over
Hi Tom,
Thanks for your reply. To clarify what appears to be a contradiction - the wheel is making continuous small adjustments as I would expect it to under normal operation, however, as it does so, the vessel falls off course.
The virtual rudder indicator shows that the the autopilot appears to be trying to correct the off course situation but the wheel isn't turning as the virtual rudder indicator indicates.
For example, under normal sea conditions, the wheel is making continuous small adjustments that I can see in the wheel move and hear the wheel drive motor, however, the vessel starts to fall off course to starboard and the virtual rudder indicator shows the SPX is commanding the rudder to correct by turning to port.
The wheel does not turn to port but continues to make small adjustments as the vessel falls farther and farther off course to starboard. This continues until the virtual rudder indicator shows hard over to port and the SPX then stops making any corrections thinking that it has maxed out the wheel travel.
The vessel continues falling off to starboard until the off course alarm limit is activated (in my case it's set to 20 deg).
When it disengage the SPX by hitting "standby", the ST6002 display shows approximately the correct course which indicates to me that the fluxgate compass is functioning. i.e. If my original set course is 10 deg and I fall off course to starboard 20 degrees, the ST6002 continues to show 10 degrees until I hit standby when it correctly shows my new course of 30 deg.

I'm quite certain the belt isn't slipping.

I recalibrated several times over the summer season. The last calibration I did only a few weeks before I put the boat away for the winter took 50 steps to complete. Over the course of my ownership, it usually takes far fewer steps. I seem to recall 27 as about an average number. Next time I'm at the boat, I'll find my notes and get exact information if hat would be helpful.

Is there a factory reset I could try to let the system start from scratch again? unfortunately I won't be able to do any sea trials for another 4 months or so.

I appreciate any thoughts you have or any troubleshooting suggestions so that I may narrow down the problem.

Thanks,
Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] SPX-5 Virtual Rudder Indicator Shows Rudder Hard Over - spencerdd - 01-12-20 10:56 PM