Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[CA] [CA11] I50 and I60 compatible with my present hardware?
09-26-19, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-19 02:44 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] I50 and I60 compatible with my present hardware?
udo,

Q1. The transducers (wind, speed, depth) must to be connected to the SeaTalkng backbone via the ITC-5 converter, since they can not plug in to the back of the I70, right?
A1. The i70S MFDs have no provision to directly connect transducers to them. Should analog transducers be installed such as those listed below be installed, then the answer to your question would be yes.
- M78713-PZ P319 Low Profile Through Hull Plastic Depth Transducer 14m Cable
- E26031 ST800/P120 Speed/Temperature Low Profile Retractable Through Hull Transducer - 13.7m Cable

Alternatively, Smart transducers may be connected to spur sockets within the backbone. However, as we have received recent reports of reduced levels of depth performance from those using the Smart DST800 and Smart DT800. Over the years, we have also received a fair amount of anecdotal reports that the depth performance of the analog DST800 as good as that of the transducers listed above. At this time and for those seeking best performane in depth, speed, and temperature in a low profile housing, it would be recommended that an iTC-5 and that the transducers specified above be installed if an i70S MFID will be installed.

Q2. So I only need 1 SeaTalkng cable from my SeaTalkng backbone to the I70 and nothing else, right?
A2. Correct. However, as suggested, the i70 MFID is no longer being produced and was replaced by the i70S a couple of years ago. These MFIDs are designed to use the same software, but the i70S features a single SeaTalkng socket to comply with the NMEA 2000 standard which does not support daisy chaining of NMEA 2000 devices.

Q3. In case I want to add the I60, I get a small SeaTalk cable from the I70 to the I60, right?
A3. Not quite. As indicated in the response to Q2, the i70S MFID features a single SeaTalkng socket. As such, it would either have to be connected directly to the spur socket within the SeaTalkng backbone or at the end of spur daisy chain (i.e. one of the i60's spur socket would be connected to a spur socket in the backbone and the i60's other spur socket would be connected to the i70S MFID. While the latter is technically possible, it is considered to be a best installation practice to not daisy chain these devices. Please refer to the FAQ which I previously referenced regarding best SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 installation practices for binnacle mounted Raymarine electronics.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] I50 and I60 compatible with my present hardware? - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 09-26-19 01:04 PM