Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA11] Choosing transducer for Axiom. Fishing Oregon
10-06-19, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-19 03:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Choosing transducer for Axiom. Fishing Oregon
Can I get some help choosing transducers for my new raymarine system. My new set up will include the following one Axiom pro 9rvx(helm mounted), one Axiom pro 9s(helm mounted), and one axiom 9(in the cockpit area).

Bottom fishing in 300'-400'
Tuna fishing 1,000'-1,500'
Salmon trolling in the rivers (15-50') and in the ocean (50'-200')

I'm interested in at least 1 through hull mounted transducer. Boat has a 19 degree deadrise on a 23' fiberglass boat.

Thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-19, 07:50 AM
RE: [CA11] Choosing transducer for Axiom. Fishing Oregon
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum lukerabun,

Is the boat trailered?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-13-19, 03:49 PM
Thanks Chuck!

Yes I trailer the boat.
10-14-19, 09:16 AM
lukerabun,

Is the boat's hull constructed from fiberglass and the hull will permit a M260 in-hull to be installed, then this would be the recommended option for those seeking to install a thru-hull transducer. If seeking to install an thru-hull transducer, the A102113 B164 (20 degree) - Sonar Transducer would be recommended. For shallow water operation and for use of RealVision, SideVision, DownVision, and low power / high frequency CHIRP conical sonar, an A80464 RV-100 All-In-One Transom Mount Transducer would be recommended.
10-15-19, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 12:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck. This was good information that has helped me understand better what what I might want. I'll admit that although I have hundreds maybe even a thousand plus hours with my current transducer and MDF (lowerance HDS 7 gen2) but I don't know the technicalities of transducers. Although I have been doing some research which leads me to my next questions.

1. Is the RV-100 also a chirp traditional sonar or does the Chirp only apply to the down, side, and RealVision modes?

2. I'm leaning towards the M260 but I noticed it's not a Chirp transducer. Is Chirp something that will give more definition in regards to locating fish and bottom composition, what is the Chirp advantage?

3. Based on the MFD selection ( 2 Axiom pros and one Axiom 9) and fishing environment what would be the top of the line? What would a pro fisherman use in this case?

My thoughts are to do it once, and to do it right. I don't want to buy something I don't need but I'm more that willing to spend more money on something that will make a large difference .

Thanks in advance
Yesterday, 12:53 PM
lukerabun,

Q1. Is the RV-100 also a chirp traditional sonar or does the Chirp only apply to the down, side, and RealVision modes?
A1. Yes. The RV-100 transducer supports RealVision, DownVision, SideVision, and low power / high frequency CHIRP conical sonar imaging. You may select to display any one of the above types of imagining or all for within independent fishfinder sonar application pane.

Q2. I'm leaning towards the M260 but I noticed it's not a Chirp transducer. Is Chirp something that will give more definition in regards to locating fish and bottom composition, what is the Chirp advantage?
A2. The quality of imaging is dependent upon the species of fish and the frequency used to sound. While CHIRP transducers can potentially detect more species, the time proven 50kHz/200kHz frequencies are generally considered best for tuna.

Q3. Based on the MFD selection ( 2 Axiom pros and one Axiom 9) and fishing environment what would be the top of the line? What would a pro fisherman use in this case?
A3. Professional fishermen would typically select Axiom Pro MFDs because of their hybridTouch interfaces rather than rely upon touchscreens. They would also be recommended to select external fishfinder sounder modules rather than MFDs having embedded sonar circuitry for maximum sonar performance. Accordingly, Axiom Pro S MFDs and a RVX-1000 would be recommended. Should you ever desire to dabble in high power CHIRP sonar, the M260 may simply be removed from its reservoir and replaced with a M265 CHIRP transducer.