Raymarine forum
[TG] [TG11] make Axiom source of depth: AirMar N2K - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Networking / System Integration (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: [TG] [TG11] make Axiom source of depth: AirMar N2K (/showthread.php?tid=11313)

[TG11] make Axiom source of depth: AirMar N2K - gulfoslides - 05-17-20 10:35 AM

I just added an Airmar NMEA 2000 depth sounder to my boat and hooked it up to my N2K backbone. I expected to see it as another source of Depth when I went to my Axiom/Network/Data Sources/Depth. But all I see is the Axiom transducer. Any clue as to why the Airmar doesn't show up in the list ?
Attached are 3 pics, 1st is the list of all my N2K devices (the Airmar is the one that starts with 44-203...). The 2nd pic is the Product info for the Airmar (so clearly the Axiom sees the device). The 3rd pic is the data readout from the Airmar.

RE: [TG11] make Axiom source of depth: AirMar N2K - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-20-20 02:13 AM

Hello gulfoslides,

Thanks, the photos are very useful. I suspect the third one contains the answer: the Airmar transducer isn't providing a depth value (just dashes, meaning data-invalid.) The Axiom (reasonably enough) probably will only regard devices transmitting valid depth data in the data source selection screen.

Is the boat out of the water? Don't run a depth sounder (especially a high-power fishfinder sounder) out of the water. On high-performance systems you can cause irreparable damage very quickly by running a transducer dry.

Regards,
Tom

RE: [TG11] make Axiom source of depth: AirMar N2K - gulfoslides - 05-21-20 10:57 AM

So the boat is IN the water. And still not seeing depth.

But then I called AirMar and was told to test the AirMar P79 in a 5 gallon bucket of water. When I did that, the Axiom began to see depth! WaLa ! So then I moved the P79 back to the spot I had it in the boat, and once again, no depth...

So then I moved it closer to the center-line of the boat (in the bildge) and WaLa, the Axiom started seeing depth!

Moral of the story: hook up the AirMar to the Axiom, TEST the location you plan to install it on and make sure you have a depth readout. If you don't see a valid depth readout you have a blockage. Move the AirMar to a new location until you have a depth reading in the Axiom.

RE: [TG11] make Axiom source of depth: AirMar N2K - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-22-20 12:01 AM

Yes, a very good point, thanks for feeding that back for the benefit of other users.

Don't ever run a transducer dry: a good way to do a pre-installation test for an in-hull mounting location is to put the transducer in a bag of water inside the hull, and move the bag around to find the best spot.

Also, don't ever just glue an in-hull transducer down, always use a wet-box filled with propylene glycol.

Regards,
Tom