The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axiom/RV-100 installation
06-30-17, 12:41 AM
Axiom/RV-100 installation
I have installed my new Axiom 9 RV and RV-100. I have recently received the Y-cable to connect my existing B-60 transducer. I have a few questions before finalizing the installation.

Due to transom design and the placement of strakes, trim tabs and the existing B-60 transducer, my placement options are limited and high speed performance is doubtful. Although I do not expect that the RV-100 will provide much usable data at planning speeds, I would like to get it as good as possible.

The RV-100 is currently positioned about 18” starboard of the boat’s center line, 2” starboard of a forward strake and 2.25” port of a trim tab. Vertically, the transducer is positioned so that the ridge at the midpoint on the port side is about ¼” lower than the bottom of the hull and the transducer is tilted so that it is approximately parallel to the bottom of the hull. I have attached 3 images showing the current placement of the transducer. In one of the images, green tape is placed to show the approximate positions of the B-60 (closer to center) and the forward strake (closer to the RV-100).

In initial testing, I had good High Chirp, Downvision, Sidevision and Realvision performance at displacement speeds but no usable data at planning speeds Much to my surprise, my outdrive did not seem to interfere with Sidevision or Realvision performance. With the B-60 connected to my old DS500x, I saw some interference in High Chirp but the plot was readable.
I don’t want to drill a lot of new holes unless there is a good chance of improving performance but I am open to relocating the RV-100 and the nearby speed sensor if there is a reasonable chance of improved performance.

Q 1: Can you recommend any position changes that might have a reasonable chance of improving RV-100 performance at higher speeds?

I am primarily a coastal striped bass fisherman but I occasionally venture offshore in search of bottom fish, sharks or school tuna, I have little experience with Chirp but it seems clear that I will need to keep the B-60 to maintain consistent bottom tracking at higher speeds. I had not realized that the the Axiom/Y-cable set up eliminates High Chirp, so for the time being, my DS500x remains installed and the Y-cable, B-60 connector and RV-100 connector remain above deck. I would like to clean this up a bit but overall performance is more important so I have a couple of questions that may help me decide how to proceed.

Q2: Is the Axiom RV significantly better at processing and displaying 50/200MHz data than the DS500x?

Q3: Would High Chirp significantly outperform 50/200MHz at lower speeds.

Q4. It’s not in my budget anytime soon but if I were to connect the B-60 to a properly networked second Axiom RV or DV MFD, would I be able to view both 50/200MHz and High Chirp?

Finally, in reviewing similar posts by other forum members, I find that I am not able to view their attached diagrams and images. Also, assuming that I attached them correctly, I am not able to view my images when I preview my post.

Q 5. Is there a setting that would allow me to view attachments?

Thanks and sorry for the long winded post.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Axiom/RV-100 installation - JPA - 06-30-17 12:41 AM
RE: Axiom/RV-100 installation - JPA - 07-05-17, 04:42 PM
RE: Axiom/RV-100 installation - JPA - 07-06-17, 12:53 PM
RE: Axiom/RV-100 installation - JPA - 08-04-17, 07:38 AM