Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Keeping Autopilot in use without Raymarine MFD
02-04-18, 10:56 PM
RE: [CA] Keeping Autopilot in use without Raymarine MFD
So, I removed the E120 from the system.

I supplied the Control head with an auxiliary power source through the second Seatalk connector. Powering up the Autopilot (an S3G AST BTW) though resulted in the head unit reporting "No Pilot". @#%$#%@!, says I, bewildered.

I traced the Seatalk cable and finding it intact wondered whether there was a problem with the Seatalk Terminal on the Course Computer. There were actually two Seatalk cables sharing the same terminal. One of these had been in contact with the E120. Removing this old cable gave a transient chirp from the Head unit and a heading readout.

Long story short; It all makes sense as to why the Autopilot would give a Seatalk Error when the E120 was off…That was the only way the Control Head was getting the Seatalk information. The proper Seatalk Wire connection from the Course computer to the Head Unit was flakey & not making contact. It looked to be inserted properly but was kind of curled up & not contacting the Course Computer post that it was sharing with the other seatalk cable at the terminal. It was this connection with the alternate cable in its connection to the E120 that made it a functional system.

Anyways, I have not done a sea trial yet but it all looks functional now.

The extra power source to the head unit is not needed and appears redundant.

Cheers,

-evan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA] Keeping Autopilot in use without Raymarine MFD - eheffa - 02-04-18 10:56 PM