The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Autopilot hunts terribly
03-18-20, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-20 12:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Autopilot hunts terribly
Hi,

I recently finished a functional install of an EV-100 system on an Ericson 32 sailboat wheel drive.

Right now, everything powers on and seems operational, but when I go to engage the autopilot, it hunts like you wouldn't believe. I have tried every iteration of Performance/Cruising/Leisure,
Sailboat / Sailboat Slow Turn,
Rudder Damping 1-9,
Hard Over Time 6-20sec

that I can think of. Compared to other videos I have seen of the EV-100 working, it appears that my system doesn't know how to perform minute adjustments. I see other peoples' pilots go "tick tick tick" for minor adjustments, but mine makes macro -15 / +15 degree swings. It goes in a straight line if you zoomed out far enough, but the straight line is a constant zig zag.

Changing Performance modes only increases the angle it jumps between, such as -15/+15 on Performance, -30/+30 on Cruising, and so on.

Compass deviation is 4. I have tried calibrating it multiple times.

The system is wired from my breaker panel. The ACU is powered by 10GA wire dropping to 12GA at the connection point on the ACU, as I could not get the 10GA to fit in the green thing.

The SeaTalk power cable goes from the breaker panel to a 3-way spur connector.
The 3-way spur connector has one end capped off w/ the blue plug, and one end has the blue backbone cable going to the 5-socket backbone connector.
The 5-socket backbone connector has the EV-1, p70, and ACU attached to it, as well as the blue backbone cable and blue plug.

All connections seem tight.

I do notice that I get some plastic bearing noise when I turn my wheel with the clutch disengaged. I have tried adjusting the clutch screw but it seems as "off" as I can get it.

Here is a video of the behavior I'm talking about:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM0...dzRldxcXln

Thank you for your help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] Autopilot hunts terribly - delightful - 03-18-20 07:20 PM