Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] Prevent AIS650 to go into silent mode when switching off C140W
05-04-20, 09:27 PM
RE: Prevent AIS650 to go into silent mode when switching off C140W
Hello Pan76,

When you say Silent Mode, can I just confirm that the AIS is no longer transmitting position to other AIS receivers (as opposed to, say, no longer talking on the STNG network)? How have you verified this?

There is no problem that I am aware of that causes the AIS650 to go into Silent Mode and not transmit over radio when the MFD is powered down. The prerequisites for the AIS to transmit vessel information are:
  • MMSI number programmed (obviously this won't change if the MFD is powered down)
  • Silent Mode override wires on the power cable not connected together (orange and light green)
  • Silent Mode not instructed by PC software over USB, MFD or other NMEA2000 device
  • AIS has a GPS position fix from its own dedicated antenna (external NMEA2000 or NMEA0183 GPS is not sufficient, the internal receiver is RAIM-compliant)
  • AIS has measured a reasonable VSWR from the connected radio antenna

I can't see off the top of my head why powering the MFD down would change any of these conditions which is why I want to be sure I understand the symptom correctly.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Prevent AIS650 to go into silent mode when switching off C140W - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-04-20 09:27 PM