The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Wind transducer wind angle issue
05-13-20, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-20 12:17 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Wind transducer wind angle issue
I have the following:
Newer style wind transducer
i60 Wind display
(2) i70 MF instruments
iTC-5 with all transducers wired to it
(2) P70 autopilot heads
ACU-400 w/EV1
e125

Last season I noticed the wind angle seemed to be off. The system would calculate a 30 degree wind shift (ground wind) after tacking.
I went up the mast and physically held the wind vane to 0 while someone below adjusted the offset within the i70 setup menu. After that and while aloft, I physically held the vane at 90 starboard, 90 port, and 180. While the vane was at 90, at least on one side, the i60 (in AWA mode) and the i70 were showing at least 100+. 180 seemed to be correct.

I just re-launched the boat and re-installed the transducer (I take it off over every winter) and while at the top of the mast I performed the calibration procedure manually by having someone below start the process, then I manually, slowly turned the vane around at least twice to mimic turning the boat in circles. The setup showed "complete" after about 2.5 turns. I then aligned the vane manually to 0 and had the person below complete the function to set zero.

After doing all this, the vane is clearly sending the wrong angle info.
Here is what I got when manually holding the vane at 0-90P-90S-180:
physical position / angle shown on i60 in AWA mode / angle shown on i70 graphic
0 / 0 / 0
90P / 95P / 90P
90S / 110S / 104S
180 / 166 / 166

I tried to take some data at 45P, 45S, 135P, 135S but it's hard to eyeball those angles exactly. I did find that on one of the 45's and 135's, it seemed to be way off (I had the person below tell me when it read those values and it looked like the vane was not at those actual angles)

Clearly the angle is off mostly when reading starboard, and a lot when reading 180.

Could this be related to mimicking doing the circles by turning the vane by hand, or is this a transducer or iTC-5 issue?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[TG11] Wind transducer wind angle issue - TKP62 - 05-13-20 05:17 PM