The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[JB] [JB11] Autohelm Linear drive sticking
05-25-20, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-20 09:51 PM by Jules - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[JB11] Autohelm Linear drive sticking
My Autohelm Electric linear drive 2 is recently stopping after a short time.I believe the unit is from the early 1990's. The computer, SmartPilot X30, is about 6 yrs old along with the ST70 control head. The computer is not connected or talking with any other instruments and I never had a rudder angle sensor. I have always just picked a waypoint and hit auto for 11yrs and 25,000knmi, adjusting a few degrees as the course demands. Worked flawlessly.
I have taken drive apart checked the roll pins( which I have replaced a couple times), clutch and lubed bearings. It seems that when I slightly move the wheel when it stops working it helps it start again. I had thought it was an alignment problem with too much angle causing to jam the ram. I put some washers on the quadrant end pin to try and level it. Worked fine for a few weeks. (we are, were, cruising thru Bahamas and moving a lot). After about 18 hrs of a 24 hr passage it did the same thing. Sticking until you move the wheel. When the drive is in standby the wheel moves very easily in both directions.
I just checked where the motor end attaches to mounting bracket and it seems the was a lot of play in the holes where the two opposing pins go through the universal type joint. The unit had a lot of movement both up and down and sideways. I put some thin washers in and that took most of the play out. It ran for two hours and acted up the same way. I am sure it is a mechanical issue. Thanks hope this helps.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[JB11] Autohelm Linear drive sticking - CookieMonster - 05-25-20 01:02 PM