Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brand New System - Bizarre wind readings
08-27-16, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 05-15-17 03:00 PM by jeffhare.)
RE: Brand New System - Bizarre wind readings
Followup on this problem.

Recap, the wind speed readings (and sometimes the depth readings) would go completely haywire.

We have an Evolution Linear drive system with rudder position sensor, and the I70 depth, speed and wind instruments.

After removing the ITC-5 cover I could see that the bare shield wire connection for the depth sender was likely making some contact with various unused pins of the rudder sensor, either all the time or with vibration.

The bare ground wire from the Depth sender entered from the left, looped above the rudder sensor pins and around to the ground/screen pin of the depth sensor. It was very likely contacting or shorting or in close proximity to various rudder sensor pins (possibly even contacting the left most Compass connector pin). Neither the rudder sensor or compass senders are connected to the ITC-5 in our installation, as I think they connect directly to the Evolution ACU.

We tried everything we could think of to introduce interference, VHF transmission, Radar, handheld VHF in close proximity, etc. and were no longer seeing any erratic readings over 7 days of sailing & motor sailing in a wide variety of wind and sea conditions.

See the attached image.

So... Maybe this is solved?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brand New System - Bizarre wind readings - jeffhare - 08-27-16 09:26 AM