Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Questions on a New Configuration
10-14-19, 03:07 PM
RE: [CA11] Questions on a New Configuration
James,

Q1) After initially favoring two Axiom screens, I now believe that I should incorporate at least one Axiom Pro screen. Any guidance on whether to choose the Pro 12S vs Pro 12RVX? Is the Pro version a more complete or robust platform than Axiom? Or do I incorporate the RVX into the Axiom screen only and get a Pro screen, no Realvision?
A1. Unless seeking to RealVision, SideVision, DownVision, or conical low power / high frequency CHIRP sonar imaging, there would be no need for fishfinder processing circuitry within either MFD and even then, I typically favor having sonar circuitry within an external sounder module. If seeking the latter sonar imaging then it would be recommended that an Axiom MFD w/o internal sonar circuitry be purchased along with an Axiom Pro S MFD. A RVX1000 RealVision Sonar Module may then be networked to the MFDs. Should the currently installed P319 be operational and should it have been designed to be mated directly to the DSM (i.e. w/o adaptation) then this transducer and/or a pair of RealVision Transducers may be interfaced to the RVX1000. Should RealVision, SideVision, DownVision, or conical low power / high frequency CHIRP sonar imaging not be desired, then the same MFD recommendations would apply, but a CP370 Sounder Module would be recommended.

Q2) Currently I have a DSM 300 system networked to a SeatalkHs powered network switch. I am not sure whether to use this in the new system or not. The transducer is a P319 but I also have a NMEA 0183 Tridata ST60 fed from a transom mounted Speed/temp/transducer as a back up since the DSM300 is occasionally erratic. I would like to incorporate RealVision in the new system with the RV-200 transducer. Any advice here? No fishing, just cruising but sometimes near rocky shores.
A2. I would recommend retaining the SeaTalkhs Network Switch. The MFDs, radar transducer, SR150, and the aforementioned RVX1000 RealVision Sonar Module may then be all be networked via the switch. Should the currently installed P319 be operational and should it have been designed to be mated directly to the DSM (i.e. w/o adaptation) then this transducer and/or a pair of RealVision Transducers may be interfaced to the RVX1000. This will satisfy the RealVision requirement and the P319 should provide good bottom tracking at planing speeds.

Q3) I have an old ST7001+ autopilot which works fine and is not integrated with the present system. My plan is to replace it with an Evolution A/P eventually. Can this be left as a stand-alone unit with the Axiom screens for now until replaced next year?
A3. Yes. However, depending upon the model of autopilot course computer which the ST7001+ has been interfaced to, it may indeed be possible to interface it to the system to support use of the autopilot's Track mode feature.

Q4) The GPS satellite acquisition is sometimes very slow (several minutes) with the old RayStar 125 antenna. Should I replace it with an external antenna now (looking at the AR200 for future augmented reality)? The Sea Ray has a hardtop but a BadElf GPS back-up has no issue acquiring satellites quickly under the hardtop.
A4) Should the MFDs not be installed in a location affording them an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then an external GPS would indeed be required and it would be recommended that it be installed atop the hard top, presumably where the RS125 has been installed. I too would recommend considering the AR200 for the reasons which you have referenced.

Q5) Could I keep one or both my analogue cameras on-board with this set-up?
A5) Yes. One of the cameras may be directly mated to the Axiom Pro MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable. The second may be interfaced to a video encoders (ex. Axis M7011). I have used the latter onboard my own boat and find them to work quite well.

Q6) Most important concern: Can I keep the present 4kw open array radar? The original bill from 2008 says "RA1048D" and probably should read "RA1048HD". The words "HD Digital" are on the open array antenna and it is controlled through a VCM100. (I have the serial numbers.)
A6. Yes. The currently installed open array may be retained for use with the Axiom system.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Questions on a New Configuration - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-14-19 03:07 PM