The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding a second chartplotter
09-28-16, 12:51 AM
Adding a second chartplotter
Evening;

I am adding an eS78, Quantum radar, and AIS650 to my existing system (windvane with ITC-5, DST200 triducer, EVO autopilot with ACU-200/p70/EV-1, 3 i70 displays, Garmin GNT10 through a adapter cable, and a98 MFD). The MFD's have their own power supplies and the backbone is powered through the ACU-200.

I have everything connected with STng and the MFD's connected through Raynet and a 5 port switch.

Concept is that the a98 is in the cockpit and serves as primary GPS source, where the es78 is belowdecks and serves as data master. This is also the MFD that interfaced with Quantum radar.

I have a few questions about how to best operate this system, especially with regards to the wifi and networking:

1. The power layouts required me to power the AIS/VHF/AIS100 splitter, es78, and rest of the system from separate breakers. Is there a specific order they should be powered up in order to ensure that everything comes and shares data appropriately? In my initial bench testing, i had some issues getting the AIS650 to talk to the MFD and was unsure what i did that eventually fixed it (I was poking around in the NMEA input settings when it started talking to the MFD; i figured these would be irrelevant for a STng connected AIS system.)

2. Should I connect to the radar from the cockpit (a98) display as well, or rely on the Raynet switch to transfer all the data? will i be able to power up and standby the radar from that MFD?

3. For a multi-MFD system, what exactly does the 'data master' do? is that relevant only to ethernet stuff, or STng as well?

4. I attempted to select the GPS source, but got a message that the ACU-200 prevented that action. Is this normal? the p70 has GPS source set to 'auto.'

If i want to use Raycontrol for additional display or a wifi hotspot to get weather data, how does that interact with the wifi radar and 2 chartplotters wifis?
6. If i want to interface my Standard Horizon GSC1700 radio to the belowdecks (eS78) MFD with NMEA 0183 for the purposes of getting DSC data, will that be promulgated over the network as well? Any specific precautions/settings to make that work?

Thanks in advance for the assistance. Can post a diagram if requested.

Respectfully,

Heath
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Adding a second chartplotter - quatoria23 - 09-28-16 12:51 AM