Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution Autopilot unable to hold course in waves
10-26-16, 01:37 PM
RE: Evolution Autopilot unable to hold course in waves
Hi Chuck from about 10 miles off Baja. Sailing thru cell coverage so just wanted to touch base. If you prefer we can take this conversation off the forum. If so, best email on boat is pazzo@gmn-usa.com. This is our iridium email. wdh8696@sailmail.com works as well.

Hard-over-to-hard-over time is about 11 or 12 seconds. This is based on doubling hard-over-to center time while tied to the dock. After AP passes center, correction pauses, I assume to give compass a chance to respond. Fastest helm motion is in performance mode. Leisure mode gives slowest time.

I haven't experimented, yet, with damping or alternate vessel type. However...

Yesterday's experience tells me I have something wrong in my installation.

We were sailing with asymmetrical spinnaker on 150 degrees apparent wind, 18 - 20 knots with seas about 1 meter. Even in these mild conditions, boat was swinging thru +/- 15 degrees (30 degrees full range) in Leisure mode and +/- 25 degrees in Performance mode. Course-keeping seems to be a couple degrees better when sailing in Vane mode than when in compass mode.

This course keeping is less than my venerable Autohelm 7000 could do. This leads me to think I have something wrong in my setup.

Will continue to experiment with rudder damping and vessel type as you suggest, but just wanted to share new info in case this gives you more ideas.

Not sure when I'll have internet connection again, so your patience, and your help, is hugely appreciated!! Cheers, Willy SV Pazzo
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Evolution Autopilot unable to hold course in waves - wstigg - 10-26-16 01:37 PM