Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with compatibility upgrading my equipment
11-17-16, 10:52 AM
RE: Help with compatibility upgrading my equipment
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Antonio,

General comment: You plan to relocate the A57D below decks is sound. The A57D MFD may be interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone to which the a98 MFD will also be interfaced as a spur. It is recommended that you determine the make/model of AIS receiver/transceiver which has been installed onboard the vessel and then interface the AIS receiver/transceiver to the SeaTalkng backbone. Should the AIS receiver/transceiver feature a SeaTalkng or NMEA 2000 communications interface, then it is recommended that it be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. Should the AIS receiver/transceiver only feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, then it is recommended that it be adapted with an Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 Data Bridge to permit it to be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone.

My questions are:

Q1. Will my current autopilot work with the a98, accepting their full routing capabilities (Navionics routes, etc?)
A1. Please note that the ST7001+ is simply an autopilot control head and was compatible with a number of Raymarine autopilot course computers ... in this case a Type 400 (S2) autopilot course computer. A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be used to interface an unpowered SeaTalk bus (accomplished by not connecting the red lead of the SeaTalk cable to the autopilot course computer's red SeaTalk terminal) including the ST7001+ and Type 400 autopilot course computer to the SeaTalkng backbone. Interfacing the autopilot to the system via SeaTalkng communications protocol will maximize the autopilot features and flexibility in how the system is used.

Q2. If I want to upgrade my current st60 wind / depth displays to, say, i70 multifunction displays, will I need to get new wind / depth / speed transducers for them, or will my old ones be compatible? Any converters necessary?
A2. While the depth, speed, and temperature transducers may be used with an iTC-5 Analog Instrument Converter and i70 MFID, the currently installed wind transducer must be of the same wind vane transducer design (i.e. must look the same) as that currently sold by Raymarine.

Q3. I am aware I would need a new digital radome, since my old one is not compatible with the a98. Will the Rd418Hd Radome be also compatible with the Garmin 2108, as a second screen downstairs? If so, will I be able to use both the Garmin and the a98 simultaneously?
A3. Raymarine radar transducers (i.e. radomes and pedestals) are exclusively designed for use with Raymarine MFDs. Accordingly, a RD418HD radome may not be interfaced to the Garmin product, nor would a Garmin product which has been interfaced to a Raymarine MFD (which in turn had been interfaced to a compatible Raymarine radar transducer) be able to display radar imagery from the Raymarine radar transducer.

Q4. Will my AIS unit (currently feeding the A57D) be compatible with the a98? Will I be able to feed the Garmin AND the a57D simultaneously? (same question as 3).
A4. In order to address this question, it would be necessary to know the make/model of AIS receiver / transceiver which has been installed onboard.

Q5. If I DO have to upgrade my depth transducer, I am considering getting a thru-hull with Downvision because... why not? Will it send basic depth data to all my equipment?
A5. Yes.

Q6. Do I really need a separate external GPS antenna for each of the displays, as it's currently installed?
A6. No. It is likely that the Garmin chartplotter, RC435, and possibly the A57D each had their own GPS sensor. Should the a98 be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it could supply GPS data both the A57D (ensure that it's internal GPS has been switched OFF) and Garmin chartplotter should they each be interfaced as spurs to the SeaTalkng backbone. Should the Garmin chartplotter not feature a NMEA 2000 communications interface, then it may be adapted with a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 Data Bridge (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help with compatibility upgrading my equipment - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 11-17-16 10:52 AM