Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Seatalk expansion on my GS165
03-08-16, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-20 12:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Seatalk expansion on my GS165
safeandsoundinc,

Q1: Let me ask another way. Can I connect all these items with just the 5way Seatalk connectors?
A1: No. Three different types communications interfaces (Ethernet, SeaTalkng, & NMEA 0183) will be used to interface the specified items.

The RA1048D HD Color 4kw Open Array Digital Radar Cable will be interfaced to one of the gS165's Ethernet (RayNet) ports. Should your Digital Radar Cable feature a RayNet(F) plug on one end, then this plug would be used to mate the Digital Radar Cable to one of the MFD's Ethernet ports. Should your Digital Radar Cable feature a male RJ45 plug on one end, then an A80247 RayNet (F) to RJ45 (F) Adaptor would be used to mate the Digital Radar Cable to one of the MFD's Ethernet ports.

The SR100 will be interfaced to one of the gS165 MFD's Ethernet ports using a cable assembly constructed from an A80272 RayNet (M) to SeaTalkHS (M) Adapter and an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

The Ray240 VHF radio base station will need to be interfaced via NMEA 0183 communications protocol to the NMEA 0183 Port 1 leads of the gS165's Power/NMEA 0183/Video input cable. Should the Ray240 base station's NMEA 0183 leads need to be extended, then commonly available marine grade twisted pair signal cable should be used.

The S2G's NMEA 0183 OUT1 port will be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 Port 2 IN leads of the gS165's Power/Video/NMEA 0183 Cable. Should the NMEA 0183 Port 2 IN leads of the gS165's Power/Video/NMEA 0183 Cable need to be extended, then commonly available marine grade twisted pair signal cable should be used.

A powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone will need to be installed having at least three available spur sockets to permit the gS165, i50, and p70 to each be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. Alternatively, should the gS165, i50, and p70 all be closely located to one another and to the backbone, then the i50, p70, and gS165 may be daisy chained to one another and then connected to a single socket within the SeaTalkng backbone. Should the total length of the spur cables used to daisy chain these three devices to the SeaTalkng backbone be greater then 5m, then these devices must instead be individually connected to the SeaTalkng backbone.

The Raystar 125 GPS Sensor will be spliced (RS125 Red & Green to SeaTalk Red; RS125 yellow to SeaTalk yellow; RS125 brown & black/shield to SeaTalk Shield)to an appropriate length of SeaTalk Plug to Plug Cable, which will in turn be interfaced to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. A second length of SeaTalk Plug to Plug Cable would be used to connect the D244 block to one of the SeaTalk ports of the S2G. When connecting this cable to the S2G's SeaTalk port, the cable's red lead should not be connected to the red terminal of the S2G's SeaTalk port. Instead, this red lead will simply be insulated to prevent shorting.

A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will need to be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable. The yellow socket of the Converter will be connected to the remaining socket of the aforementioned D244 SeaTalk Junction Block.

PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION: While the replacement of this equipment is well within the capabilities of those familiar with marine electronics equipment installation, there will be some cable splicing and cable chasing required. Should this not be within your comfort zone or skills, then click here (http://www.raymarine.com/display/?id=911) to locate a Certified Raymarine Installer in your area.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Seatalk expansion on my GS165 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-08-16 11:14 AM