Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Replacing Pathfinder Radar and Displays
03-02-18, 04:35 PM
RE: [CA] Replacing Pathfinder Radar and Displays
Shay,

General comments: the diagram appears to be correct with the following exceptions / recommendations:
- It is recommended that a SeaTalkng Backbone Cable rather than a SeaTalkng Spur cable be run from one end of the upper station's backbone to the lower station. At the lower station, the SeaTalkng Backbone Cable would be connected to a SeaTalkng T-Piece or SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector. The lower station's SeaTalkng T-Piece or SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector would then be connected to the lower station MFD via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. By installing the backbone cable as specified, the lower station may then include future products having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface (ex. instruments, VHF radio, replacement autopilot components, etc).
- The lower station junction box should not be powered ... the lower station ST6001+ will receiver power from the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port (i.e. all three leads of the SeaTalk cable will be used.
- The SeaTalk Cable connecting SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to the upper station's D244 SeaTalk Junction block will need to be cut and then spliced back together, leaving the cable's power leads (red) unspliced and then insulating them to prevent shorting.

Q1. Should I leave the power connected at the Course Computer for the lower helm and do away with the power insertion at the Sea Talk1 Junction Box at the ST6001+?
A1. See the comment above.

Q2. Is the A06049 power cable shown in the upper helm drawing sufficient to supply power to both the “Upper Helm Seatalk1” and SeatalkNG networks?
A2. Yes.

In a rare occasion I might want to only operate the lower helm MFD.

Q3. As drawn will I be able to see radar at the lower helm eS97 without the upper helm eS127 being turned on?
A3. Negative. If seeking to only operate the lower helm MFD, then the system would need to include a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. The Radome and one Ethernet NETWORK socket of each MFD would then need to be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

Q4. Which MFD would need to be the Data Master?
A4. Normally, the Data Master MFD will be that which has been interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng Backbone. As both of your MFD's have been so interfaced, either MFD may be designated as the system's Data Master MFD. When only one of the MFDs has been switched ON, then it will need to be designated as the system's Data Master MFD.

Q5. Is there any advantage to connect the Slave MFD to the SeatalkNG network?
A5. Yes, it would permit operation of either of the MFDs while the other MFD is switched OFF ... see the responses to Q3 and Q4.

Q6. Should I connect the 400G NMEA1 output to the lower helm MDF (eS97) NMEA input in order to provide Fast Heading Data for use with MARPA?
A6. Yes
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA] Replacing Pathfinder Radar and Displays - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-02-18 04:35 PM