The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Will a speaker magnet interfere with a Radar Dome
02-09-18, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-18 02:55 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Question [CA] Will a speaker magnet interfere with a Radar Dome
I have recently purchased a 34' Silverton. I have attached one of the sales pics. It has a radar mast starboard side visible with a Raytheon Dome to a Chartplotter C80.

The PA/Foghorn speaker is currently located on the bridge downslope.
I would like to relocate this to minimize magnetic compass interference. I tested on my old boat, with a box compass, and determined that its specific PA speaker can deflect a needle slightly up to 6' or 7'.

I was eyeing the radar mast. I could sling the PA speaker horizontally under the radome plate and keep it elevated over the head.

Question: Will the magnetic field that deflects the compass needle create interference or distortion in the Radome? Either in reception or signal processing?

I find the speakers are directional to a point, and I don't want to lower it to blast myself if driving on the bridge. High up is bad enough.

I do have a an alternate to go to the bow, as a high power searchlight on a plate is being added to the bow rail, but I find PA's don't like a lifetime of seawater ingestion, water resistant or not.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA] Will a speaker magnet interfere with a Radar Dome - CaptainSculpin - 02-09-18 01:59 PM