Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Raystar125 Connection with Seatalk ng
03-16-18, 12:57 PM
RE: [CA] Raystar125 Connection with Seatalk ng
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Redman,

General comment: Please click here to view a FAQ addressing replacement of an C-Series Classic MFD with an Axiom MFD. In this case a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will form the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 Backbone. Of the S1's two SeaTalk ports, one should be interfaced to the ST6001 autopilot control head and the other SeaTalk port should be connected to a SeaTalk bus which is interfaced to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The SeaTalk bus which interfaces the S1 Autopilot Course Computer to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter should also include the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor. When connecting this same SeaTalk bus to the S1 Autopilot Course Computer's SeaTalk port, only the cable's data (yellow) and ground (shield) leads should be connected to the SeaTalk port's terminals. The cable's red lead should be insulated to prevent shorting. The Raystar 125 GPS Sensor will receive power via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter while the ST6001 will be powered by the S1 Autopilot Course Computer's other SeaTalk port.

Q1. Do I keep the Raystar 125 ST wires connected to the S1 as its GPS source or will the autopilot get the GPS signal from my new Axiom MFD?
A1. See the General comment above. Should the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor be operational, then it would be recommended that it be retained for use by the system if it's mounting location affords it a better view of the skies overhead than is afforded the MFD. As the system features more than one device producing GPS data, the MFD's Data Sources feature will need to be used to specify which of the system's two GPS data sources will serve as the GPS data source for the entire system.

Q2. Will my VHF still receive a GPS signal from the S1 either thru the Raystar or MFD depending on answer to #1?
A2. Should the VHF radio have received GPS position data previously from the S1 Autopilot Course Computer's NMEA 0183 output port, then it may continue to do if the equipment is installed as specified within my General comment above.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA] Raystar125 Connection with Seatalk ng - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-16-18 12:57 PM