Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG11] es127 touch screen failure
05-27-18, 09:29 PM
RE: [TG11] es127 touch screen failure
Hello pwagsc,

Sorry to hear that.

To answer the last part of your post first, I wouldn't do a factory reset, I don't think it will resolve the problem.

In the experience of myself and the support team here in Australia, incorrect touch inputs or unresponsive touch when using clean, dry hands are generally down to one of the following things:

1. Incorrect product grounding
The eS has a thin black drain wire on its power cable, along with the thick black power cable. This drain wire needs to be connected via a low-resistance path to the boat's RF ground point (battery negative, if there's no dedicated ground). It needs to be a low-resistance path in order to provide a preferential route for noise signals. Installers who don't know what to do with it commonly leave it hanging free (or connect to the nearest bit of metalwork, or even to battery positive (!)), but none of these are a good plan.

2. Unstable power supply
The touchscreen relies on an electrical connection between your body and the display: if the display's supply isn't stable, the touchscreen controller doesn't have a reliable reference point. Boat power supplies can be anything but 12V (or 24V) DC, despite what a multimeter or distribution panel meter will tell you. Engine, solar or other charging systems can superimpose significant noise or ripple onto the supply, whilst other devices can pull the supply down through the current they draw, which can be anything but steady-state.
If in doubt, we recommend having a good-quality, technical installer check the supply with an oscilloscope: this is the only true measure of supply stability. We sometimes see 12V supplies that measure as 13-odd volts stable on a multimeter but turn out to have peaks of 60V or more when checked with a 'scope.

3. A product fault.
If neither of the above options make any improvement, I'd suggest getting it checked at your nearest Raymarine technical service dealer or service centre. If your display's only around 1.5 years old then it sounds like it may well be under warranty (2 years as standard, 3 if registered on our website when new.)

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] es127 touch screen failure - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-27-18 09:29 PM