Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] SeaTalk 1 to MNEA 2000 via ST70
11-25-18, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-19 11:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] SeaTalk 1 to MNEA 2000 via ST70
Thanks Tom,

makes sense, I will go with option 2.

Checked the ST70 and it is on the latest software, it was bought in 2014. It seems it will usually work when it is the first thing that gets powered up, but even then it may freeze several hours later. I decided to keep it on SeaTalk 1 as it has worked in that mode just fine for many years and I think chances to get the freezing problem solved are very slim.

You haven't voiced an opinion on power. I know the recommendation is to not power N2k from SeaTalk1, but in my case the N2k power needs are very low and the S3G has specified up to 5A on the SeaTalk supply side.

Doing it this way is very convenient in my case, as I would have to feed the N2K power from one of the two 24/12V inverters.

One 12V supply is for general use like USB sockets, car radio, 12V sockets and as such I don't consider it particularly clean and reliable.

The other one is supplied by a permanent 24V supply, bypassing the main battery switches as it is used for those things that stay on all the time. and I wouldn't want to keep power on on N2k all the time.

On the other hand I need Seatalk and N2k always together and I definitely don't want to change the way I power SeaTalk from the course computer.

Is there any strong reason to keep power separated?

Thanks
Harald
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] SeaTalk 1 to MNEA 2000 via ST70 - HaraldS - 11-25-18 07:12 AM