Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ST5000+ Control Head malfunction verification
06-26-19, 10:09 AM
RE: [CA11] ST5000+ Control Head malfunction verification
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum,

Q1. Is the control head at fault?
A1. First, understand that the ST4000/ST4000+/ST5000/ST5000+ combine autopilot course computer and control head within a single device. I'm not convinced that the ST5000+ has suffered a failure. It is recommended that the fluxgate compass be relocated to permit the compass to be re-calibrated and aligned. After doing so, it is recommended that the vessel be turned very slowly clockwise and counterclockwise through 360 degrees to determine whether there is any binding in the compass (i.e. pauses in heading changes). It is additionally recommended that the rudder reference transducer be tested. Testing should additionally include slowly turning the rudder fully to port and starboard to ensure that there are no pauses or loss of rudder data. Finally, the autopilot's rudder limit configuration setting should be configured to a value which is 5 degrees less than the maximum rudder angle reported.

Q2. Is it worth it to relocate the compass and try again or is the failure mode more and indication of a failed control head?
A2. Yes. See the response to Q1.

Q3. Is there anything else I can look for? Drive connectors?
A3. See the response to Q1.

Q4. How does the unit know when rudder has reached full lock? Is it in the control head or is there a sensor in the drive unit?
A4. Rudder limit is configured via the control head.

Q5. How do I verify the drive unit is sound for continued use?
A5. Essentially, if the drive unit is able to shift the rudder to port and starboard without binding, then the drive unit would be considered to be operational.

Q6. I am resided to the fact I will be replacing all of the system or parts.
Option 1 is to replace with the EV-100 Sail wheel pilot. More affordable.
Option 2 is to verify Type 1 drive is good for more years of use and go to the EV200 system pack (more expensive but retains the Type 1 drive, rudder sensor)
A6. Such choices are subjective. I'm partial to below decks drive units and would certainly recommend one over a wheel drive it. I haven't seen anything in your problem description to lead me to believe that there is anything wrong with your drive unit. The Evolution EV-200 Sail includes a rudder reference transducer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] ST5000+ Control Head malfunction verification - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-26-19 10:09 AM