The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] CR hydraulic drive versus Type 3 linear hydraulic
09-25-19, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 09-27-19 10:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] CR hydraulic drive versus Type 3 linear hydraulic
I have done everything to eliminate excessive hunting with my ACU 400, type 3 systems. I have two independent setups that both demonstrate the same tendencies. The boat is 57' sailboat, fully loaded displacement is 21000 Kg, the rudder assembly including quadrant and tiller arms is 60 Kg. Rudder is semi balanced. We've stiffened the rudder, reinforced the ram mounts and moved the EVO sensor. There is no play in the assembly.
With rudder sensors connected and rudder damping at 9, and every conceivable combination of hull type and responsiveness setting the system will ocaissionaly go into rapid oscillation. Can only be stopped by grabbing the wheel. Additionally at these settings response is sluggish and course keeping in any kind of seaway, above 2 meters, very poor.
Without the rudder sensors there is no oscillation but course keeping is not very good.
I think there is nothing left to do. So two questions.
Initially I connected the two ACU's to one rudder sensor. Only one ACU at time was powered but one of your tech's mentioned I might have damaged the sensor power supplies in the ACU's. Could this cause these symptoms?
Would replacing the units with ACU 300's and a CR pumps be likely to solve this problem. If so do you have any recommendations for a hydraulic ram?
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[DG11] CR hydraulic drive versus Type 3 linear hydraulic - shparrot - 09-25-19 08:40 AM