Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrading to Axioms, integration and Auto Pilot help?
12-10-19, 03:39 PM
RE: [CA11] Upgrading to Axioms, integration and Auto Pilot help?
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum

Q1. The Auto pilot I have (smart pilot autohelm series) does work good and wondering if can keep it with the Type 1 hydraulic pump (have twin 300 outboards), and keep the fluxgate compass and smart pilot course computer (I think is S1; it's 2005)? But the control head unit (ST8001)screen is shot with a big black blob permanently blocking all viewing so I was going to replace that with a New P70r control unit head I have; would this work?
A1. It is quite possible that the autopilot control head may be replaced with a p70R autopilot control head. The key in making the determination would be positive identification of the currently installed autopilot course computer. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing an compatible legacy autopilot would be interfaced to Data Master MFD within the new system.

Q2. If not what if I used that p70r head and new ACU-150 control computer and the EV-1 sensor core; will that work retaining the type 1 pump thats already there and the cables/wires that are there going back to the engines?
A2. This should also be possible ... as long as the boat features a 12 VDC power distribution system.

Q3. Want to keep my current 1kw transducer (Airmar B260) for the main reason of how it's mounted in the hull with a cut out in the keep the size of the entire head unit so the face sits flush with the keel, not lower below it. And also want to keep it for the deeper use offshore fishing in Florida. It is connected to a DSM (300 I think) which can't be integrated into the Axioms? So I was going to replace with a CP370 and that should work, correct?
A3. Correct on all counts. Regarding the DSM300, these sounder modules are not supported for use with Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL systems. Specifically, these system have not been specifically designed for use with nor officially tested with DSMs. However, anecdotal feedback has indicated no issues thus far in using an operational DSM with Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL systems. Accordingly, should your DSM300 be operational, then you might want to try it out with the new Axiom system before replacing it with a CP370. Should there be any sign of issue with the DSM300, then the DSM300 and its Power Cable should be replaced with a CP370 and its Power Cable.

Q4. I do have an issue with that transdcuer's cable though and not sure if it can be fixed or if I should bite the bullet and replace it now; the cable is frayed at about 2ft up from the stem and also right at the connection going into the stem. Anything I can do to prolong the life of that and / or replace that cable that goes into it somehow? If not, what would you suggest replacing it with as I was thinking jsut the same B260 as will fit that huge [censored] already in my keel, but is there a more cost effective better 1kw 50/200khz transducer to use that has the same head/face shape?
A4. This is a good subject to bring up. As indicated within the FAQ found here, Raymarine strongly recommends that transducer cables not be spliced or otherwise modified, as performance typically suffers. A shorted transducer cable may cause damage to the sounder module. I would recommend replacing the transducer with another time proven B260. I would recommend contacting Gemeco, Inc. (Airmar’s US distributor (803 693 0777)) after having taken a photograph of the transducer's identification tag (located on the plug end of the transducer's cable). From the information printed on the tag, Gemeco may be able to confirm whether the currently installed fairing block may be retained for use with the new E66079 B260 1kW transducer.

Q5. Want to sway the RV-100 transom mount for the RV-200 brass thru hull transducer and mount flush on my keel at a flat surface area, but am curios does it matter how far away its mounted in front of or behind the 1kw thru hull also mounted flush in the flat part of the keel? That is mounted with a cut out in the keel so it is flush, not with a fairing block.
A5. The RV-100 is designed to be transom mounted. Should their presently be a CPT-200 installed on the transom and should it have performed well in that location, then it would be recommended that you consider installing the CP100 in that same location. The B260 would then be the transducer which would be relied upon for deep water sonar and additionally for tracking the bottom while on plane. From your description, it sounds as though you are seeking to adapt the RV-100 to be mounted in some fashion to the bottom of the hull.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Upgrading to Axioms, integration and Auto Pilot help? - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-10-19 03:39 PM