Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] No Pilot, No Heading Alarms - Heading source lost
01-18-20, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-20 03:17 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] No Pilot, No Heading Alarms - Heading source lost
Chuck,

I have an Axiom Pro system with the EV1, ACU 400, and P70S for the autohelm system. The system is about 1 1/2 year old. As we were crossing the Little Bahamas Bank this past Wednesday we got a “Pilot-No Pilot” alarm, followed by a “No Heading” alarm. The autohelm no longer would control course so we turned the autohelm off and hand steered.

We we got anchored for the night we turned the system back on and got “pilot-no drive detected, invalid command, Pilot-control unit diconnect” alarms. They all cleared right away and the system worked fine.

In the morning the system worked fine again and we used it for about 2 1/2 hours as we motored. Then we got “pilot-no pilot, No heading, Pilot-unexpected software reset, pilot-drive stopped”. These cleared immediately and we were back to “pilot-no pilot, no head” and the autohelm no longer worked.

We tried again in the next morning and the system worked fine again while we were at anchor and after about 15 min got the “Pilot-No Pilot, no heading” alarms and the auto helm stopped working. This morning the system did not work on start up.

We have been doing some troubleshooting here at anchor:
The EV1 has a solid green light on top
The P70s indicates No Pilot on the display
The ACU 400 has the two lights on inside (green one by the seatalk cable and orange one by the clutch). There is no green diagnostic led on the ACU400
The rudder indicator works fine
On the NEMA devices page I can see both the ACU 400 and P70s but the EV1 does not show up. Same thing if I go to the software update page
In the data source page under the heading tab there is nothing listed
And in the Axiom Pro settings the autopilot tab pilot control tab is grayed out

I have gone through the seatalk cables and all of them are secured. The wires into the the ACU400 also are secured. The cable on the EV1 is also connected and feels secure.

I upgraded all software back in October before we left the Chesapeake Bay.

The system has been working fine until now. The only other issue we had was back in November the rudder started turning hard right when we engaged the autohelm. We did the dockside calibration and it corrected the issue. We sailed form Beaufort SC, to St Augustine, to Lake Worth, FL with no issues. Then across the Gulf Stream before we had the issue.

We are now over in the Abacos so any insights or help would be appreciated
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-20, 03:41 PM
RE: [CA11] No Pilot, No Heading Alarms - Heading source lost
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum wgkenney,

The EV-1 CCU acts as the autopilot's heading sensor and course computer. The reported symptom may be indicative of any of the following:

- autopilot components (EV-1/ACU/p70) having old software ... ensure that each autopilot component has been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates. To ensure the greatest performance and compatibility of components, please ensure that all system components are maintained with the latest available Raymarine product software updates.

- failure to have performed a Pilot Factory Reset following a software update to one or more of the autopilot's components ... details of the Pilot Factory Reset and the other actions required to be taken following a software update to the autopilot's components may be found here;

- improper termination of the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone ... verify that the backbone has been properly constructed and contains two SeaTalkng Termination plugs ... one to be located at each end of the backbone. Termination plugs should be tested for 120 Ohms across their CAN_H and CAN_L pins. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing pin assignments.

- failure to secure SeaTalkng locking rings to secure spur cables and backbone cables to SeaTalkng networking components and products

- a ground loop has been created ... verify that the SeaTalkng backbone is receiving power from a single power insertion point located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load. If the backbone is being powered via a SeaTalkng Power Cable, ensure that the SeaTalkng power switch found on the ACU400 has been switched OFF;

- insufficient power ... verify that sufficient power is being supplied to the backbone when the failure is detected;

- a SeaTalkng networking component failure has occurred ... inspect backbone for damage, splices, etc. ... replace any damaged components. Test the SeaTalkng Spur Cable connecting the EV-1 CCU to the backbone ... replace if found be damaged / failed. Replace T-Piece/5-Way Connector providing the spur for the EV-1;

- EV-1 is suffering an intermittent failure ... send the EV-1 to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
01-22-20, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-20 03:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

Thank you for this quick reply. I sorted through this today. After looking through the software updates, connections, etc it looks like the EV-1 is likely the issue. I found the Raymarine dealer in Nassau. He carries the EV-1 in stock. So we will meet up with him when he comes to Marsh Harbour later this month and verify that is the EV-1 is the issue. I will work with dealer at that point, if EV1 is the issue, to get it back to Raymarine and will carry the repaired EV1 as a spare if it can be repaired and sent back to me. Will post results here when I have an answer.

Glenn
01-22-20, 03:40 PM
Glenn,

Noted and you're welcome.