Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom Pro not recognizing external GPS
02-04-20, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-20 09:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Axiom Pro not recognizing external GPS
Hi Chuck,

Wierdest thing... I did that and now the GPS Fix screen shows a position and at the top of the screen has the label "GPS200 via STng(32)". So it's getting it's position from the Maretron. I then went back to the screen to select the GPS data source and it does not list any potential data sources.

So it's seeing the data from the Maretron, and using it, but won't list it as a source. Now that I'm poking around the diagnostic page I see that I can select a device from the NMEA devices page then select NMEA messages. I can see the messages from the Maretron so it must be working as the MFD wouldn't display a message it can't understand.

So I guess I can run like this for the short term. It would be nice to be able to select the Maretron as a GPS source from the NMEA setup page.

I kept playing around with the diagnostic tools which are very cool and discovered that my Digital Yachts AIT2000 class B AIS trasnponder is also providing GPS data on the network. If I disable the Maretron and the internal GPS then it gets it's position from the AIT2000. The AIT2000 does not show up as a potential source of GPS position data on the MFD either. Looking at the NMEA messages in the diagnostic tool it's putting out COG, Position, SOG.

Why doesn't the Digital Yacht device show up as a potential source? If it was just the Maretron then I'd think maybe Maretron is doing something incorrectly but Digital Yachts and Maretron both have pretty good reputations so I'm wondering if there's a problem in the MFD? Especially since the MFD can see and display the messages, just can't specify one of the two as a GPS source.

Thanks for your patience and help, this has been very educational.
Rick
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Axiom Pro not recognizing external GPS - rfadler - 02-04-20 05:26 PM