Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ST1000 as compass source to Quantum radar
01-30-20, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-20 11:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] ST1000 as compass source to Quantum radar
I have a Raymarine ST1000+ tiller pilot. I am currently designing a Seatallkng network to include the autopilot. before attempting to add the st1000 to the network I would like to know if the st1000 will provide the HDG/HDT (true heading) data source required for radar target acquisition on my Quantum radar. The example data source on page 214 of the LightHouse 3.11 advanced Operation Instructions (radar section) reads "Compass or Autopilot sensor providing Fastheading data". Can the ST1000 provide this data over the network?

Thanks,
Frank
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-20, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-20 11:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] ST1000 as compass source to Quantum radar
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Frank,

While 1Hz magnetic heading from the ST1000 may be available to a MFD which in turn has been interfaced to a radar transducer to support radar overlay and head up orientation within the Chart application, North Up and Course Up orientation within the Radar application, and many other heading data dependent calculations, it will not satisfy the fast heading (10Hz) stabilized heading requirement for radar target acquisition. The latter may be satisfied by an AR200 Augmented Reality Sensor or by replacement of the currently installed autopilot with an Evolution autopilot.
02-04-20, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-20 08:43 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

I would expect that I will be able to adjust the course up and down and switch from standby to auto and back from the MFD but will the st1000 perform all the functions listed for the autopilot app. If not, which functions will it not perform. I want to be sure it will follow a course from waypoint to waypoint and correct for cross-track error.
02-05-20, 08:58 AM
Frank,

Q1a. I would expect that I will be able to adjust the course up and down
A1a. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the difference between the Course Up chart orientation and Head Up chart orientation. I believe that you may have meant Head Up orientation within this question and heading from a properly interfaced ST1000+ autopilot will be be used Head Up chart orientation. As suggested within the referenced FAQ, Course Up is dependent upon navigation (Go To or Follow Route) in which the chart will be oriented to the course line associated with the route's leg or the bearing from the vessel's initial position to the waypoint or cursor position when the Go To command was executed. The latter does not require heading data and has no relevance at any time other than when navigation has been commanded.

Q1b. switch from standby to auto and back from the MFD but will the st1000 perform all the functions listed for the autopilot app.
A1b. Negative. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. All autopilot configuration and commands must be executed via the ST1000's user interface, compatible autopilot control head, or wireless autopilot remote control.

Q2. I want to be sure it will follow a course from waypoint to waypoint and correct for cross-track error.
A2. As indicated within the FAQ referenced in the response to Q1b, this is indeed possible. However, the ST1000+ must be commanded into Track mode via the ST1000's user interface, compatible autopilot control head, or wireless autopilot remote control.