Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrade to Axiom and integrate the rest
03-26-20, 08:18 AM
RE: [CA11] Upgrade to Axiom and integrate the rest
BD,

Q1. The ST60 Depth is now successfully sending depth data to the MFD. The fix was to unplug the 2nd SeaTalk connector from the ST60. That was (presumably) receiving GPS data from an external GPS on the radar arch. This was part of the existing configuration so I didn't change it. However unplugging it worked and depth sends over now. The GPS data is no longer flowing anywhere but I suppose the MFD can supply GPS.
A1. The symptom which you have described is typically indicative of a failure within the SeaTalk circuitry of one of the devices within the system ... in this case the failed SeaTalk communications circuitry within the GPS sensor is bringing down the SeaTalk bus. Should the Axiom MFD not be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it would be recommended that an Raystar 150 GPS or AR200 Stabilization Module (functions as a GPS, heading, roll, and pitch sensor). The latter would be recommended should the ComNav 1420 not support NMEA 0183 stabilized 10Hz heading output, which in turn would be used to support the MFD's MARPA Radar and other heading dependent functions.

Q2. The only outstanding issue is that the autopilot does not appear as an instrument anywhere in the MFD. The only connection that I made to the autopilot was two wires that were on the NMEA 0183 Output connection on the old RL70C Plus. As I looked at the back of the unit the wire that used to connect to the top left got connected to the brown on the new MFD Power / NMEA 0183 input, and the top right got connected to the yellow.
A2. As indicated within the FAQ on this subject, the Autopilot Controls feature of Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs is exclusively supported within systems featuring a Raymarine Evolution Autopilot. However as indicated within the referenced FAQ, this will not prohibit use of another autopilot's Track function, it will simply require that the autopilot's control head be used to command the autopilot into track mode after having commanded navigation (Go To Waypoint / Cursor or Follow Route) from the MFD. To verify communications between the new system and the third party autopilot, you need simply verify you can command the autopilot into Track mode after commanding navigation from the MFD. With regard to interfacing the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridge to the autopilot's course computer, it should be a simple matter of
- connecting the NMEA 00183 OUT+/A lead of the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridge to the NMEA 0183 IN+/A terminal of the autopilot course computer; and
- connecting the NMEA 00183 OUT-/B lead of the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridge to the NMEA 0183 IN-/B terminal of the autopilot course computer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Upgrade to Axiom and integrate the rest - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-26-20 08:18 AM