Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AR200 Output....
03-30-20, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-20 08:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Music [CA11] AR200 Output....
Hello, I was wondering if the AR200 can be wired to output the GPS, Heading and Pitch/Roll data via NMEA 0183? I have a data logger that I interface with a Garmin 19x (GPS Only) or an Airmar GH2183 (GPS/Heading/Pitch/Roll).

I'm interested in interfacing with the AR200 but it appears it may only output NMEA 2000. I was unable to find any Wiring diagrams or pin-out information on the site regarding this.

Any advice/input you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-20, 08:51 AM
RE: [CA11] AR200 Output....
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum wakes007,

Unfortunately, all such adaptations are not possible via a simple cable. NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 communications fundamentally differ in the data structure and method of transmission. Such adaptation would require a processor to bridge the data between protocols. To this end, third party manufacturers offer NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging products (ex. Actisense NGW-1, etc.). To accomplish this end and utilize an AR200, it would be necessary for the AR200 to be interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging would also be interfaced as a spur.
04-08-20, 02:24 AM
Hi Chuck.... I'm looking at doing something similar to this I.E I'm looking at integrating a AR200 into my current system to replace my Raystar RS125Gps unit and my Fluxgate Gyro Compass and Smart heading system....
Please correct me if I'm wrong, But am I correct in thinking that the AR200 would plug directly into my Seatalkng/Seatalk backbone/Converter... Therefore enabling me to remove the GPS and SHS/Gyro Units....

Kind Regards

Tim
04-08-20, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-20 08:38 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Tim,

Q. am I correct in thinking that the AR200 would plug directly into my Seatalkng/Seatalk backbone/Converter... Therefore enabling me to remove the GPS and SHS/Gyro Units....
A. This statement is partially correct. When installing an AR200 within such a system,
- the system must feature a MFD running the latest available LH3 software required to align / reset the AR200
- the AR200 may be interfaced to a spur (white) socket within the backbone,
- the SHS must be disconnected from the system
- S1G/S2G/S3G and SPX autopilot course computers, the gyro must be unplugged from the course computer's processor board
- the fluxgate compass must be disconnected from the system
- the autopilot course computer will be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus,
- the autopilot control head(s), wireless autopilot remote base station, wired remotes must be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and instead will alone be interfaced interfaced to the SeaTalk port(s) of the autopilot course computer
- a NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridge (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG) will be used to interface the autopilot course computer's NMEA 0183 Port 1 IN & OUT to a spur socket within the backbone.
04-09-20, 02:49 PM
Thanks Chuck.... As I'm not looking at replacing my A50D classic, It seems I won't be able to run the AR200 with my present system....
With this in mind, Would I be able to replace my current gyro compass with the EV1 unit... Or will this have a similar issue?

Thanks in advance

Tim
04-09-20, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-20 04:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tim,

Q. Would I be able to replace my current gyro compass with the EV1 unit
A. As the EV-1 CCU is not only a heading sensor, but it is additionally the course computer, it may not be included within a system which will include another course computer. The EV-1 CCU is the course computational component of an Evolution Autopilot. Like the AR200 any issues with heading alignment of an EV-1 within a system such as yours, would need to be addressed by rotating the sensor rather than configuring an offset via a compatible MFD or autopilot control head. Similarly, it would not be possible to determine the deviation field sensed by either of these sensors when installed within a system lacking a a compatible MFD or autopilot control head. Without such information, it could be challenging to determine whether the selected installation location for these magnetic north seeking devices was suitable (if going forward with the AR200, consider the current fluxgate compass installation location if it yielded a deviation of less than 10 degrees) or to troubleshoot heading performance issues associated with these devices.
04-10-20, 02:35 AM
Thanks Chuck.... Ok... So it's looks like I need to at least update my MFD....Before I can start a roll out of updates on the rest of the system.....
With this in mind, Do you have a short list of Both new and Legacy products that I could replace my A50D with.... I'm only asking about the Legacy products as I bought my A50D new old stock at a very favourable price.....Also to note, This is all being fitted on a small 25 yacht, So size is an issue..

Thanks in advance

Tim
04-10-20, 08:33 AM
Tim,

In order to address the upgrade, it would be necessary to have you provide a full list of marine electronic devices which are installed within the present system.
04-10-20, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-20 04:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Here's my list of currently fitted instruments

A50D Classic MFD wired to a Seatalkng to Seatalk 1 Converter
Raystar RS125GPS wired to a Seatalk 1 Junction Box
ST60 Tridata wired to Seatalk 1 Junction Box
ST60 Wind Daisy chained to the Tridata
ST60 Close Haul Wind Daisy chained to the ST60 Wind
230E VHF Connected to Seatalk 1 Junction Box (No2)
SHS wired to Seatalk 1 Junction Box (no2)
Gyro Compass connected to the SHS...

Regards

Tim
04-13-20, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-20 08:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tim,

We're beginning to get a bit off topic here (i.e. AR200 output vs. MFD upgrade). In the future, such topic changes should be addressed within a new thread.

All devices within the specified equipment list (no fishfinder transducer listed) may either be directly interfaced to or adapted for use with any of the MFD designs which have been introduced since the C-Series Classic MFD designs. Of the MFD designs listed below, only MFDs running latest available LightHouse 3 software update (i.e. Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs or eS/gS-Series MFDs will support calibration of an AR200. From most recent oldest legacy MFDs, these include:

- Element displays (not compatible with any currently installed fishfinder transducer)

- Axiom / Axiom Pro / Axiom XL MFDs (Axiom XL MFDs would require that a CP370 fishfinder sounder module be included within the system to support any currently installed fishfinder transducer)

- ax7/cx7/e7D/ex7/eSx7 Series MFDs (not that a6x and a7x MFDs lack a NMEA 0183 communications interface)

- ax5/ax8/cx5/e7/ex5/eSx8/gS Series MFDs (would require that a CP370 fishfinder sounder module be included within the system to support any currently installed fishfinder transducer)

- E-Series Widescreen MFDs (would require that a CP370 fishfinder sounder module be included within the system to support any currently installed fishfinder transducer)

- C-Series Widescreen MFDs (would require that a CP370 fishfinder sounder module be included within the system to support any currently installed fishfinder transducer)

- A-Series Classic MFDs (includes your A50D)

- E-Series Classic MFDs (would require that a CP370 fishfinder sounder module be included within the system to support any currently installed fishfinder transducer)

- C-Series Classic MFDs (would require that a DSM250, DSM30, or DSM300 fishfinder sounder module be included within the system to support any currently installed fishfinder transducer)