Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smart Controller and Base Station/Seatalk ng
06-09-16, 07:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-16 10:17 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Smart Controller and Base Station/Seatalk ng
I just purchased an Evolution autopilot and have a similar issue: connecting the smart controller to the Sea Talk ng backbone. Previously the base station for the smart controller was wired directly into the SPX 30 computer. I understand I now need to run a sea talk cable from the base station to a ng converter. I think I have two options: install a new converter for the base station or install a sea talk block and tie into my other sea talk instruments before going into my existing converter.

Assuming I am correct so far, and I want to connect to a sea talk block, can I cut a SeaTalk NG cable and wire that to the base station for the smart controller? Or asked another way, since I have to wire the base station (no connector) what cable do I use to connect to a sea talk block?

The reason I am looking at two options is the existing converter is in the helm pedestal connecting my ST 60 instruments and my base station is down below next to my old SPX computer. I am trying to decide if I should relocate the base station to the helm pedestal, that my not be waterproof, or keep it down below next to the auto pilot computer.

I am installing the system on Friday, the 10th, so would appreciate your advice as soon as possible.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Smart Controller and Base Station/Seatalk ng - DennisC - 06-09-16 07:51 PM