Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AIS 700 antenna end removal
04-02-20, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-20 02:25 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] AIS 700 antenna end removal
In order to install my AIS700's GNSS antenna I will need to remove one end of the antenna's cable (ie: either cut and replace the plug end or open up the antenna and disconnect the wire as it is connected inside the antenna itself). I have an electronics background and would rather de-solder/re-solder the wires inside the antenna head if possible. My question is whether this method is wrought with potentiual problems or if it's easily done. BTW: I notice the screws in the plastic antenna head are tiny Bristol type ones.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-20, 02:35 PM
RE: [CA11] AIS 700 antenna end removal
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum sailorcanuck,

Unfortunately, Raymarine neither advocates nor supports end user repairs / modifications within its products. Such actions should only be undertaken by Raymarine's Product Repair Centers and by certified Raymarine installers who have been trained to perform such actions. That said, it is relatively common for the plug of a passive GPS antenna, such as that which is utilized by the AIS700, to be removed to permit chasing the passive GPS antenna's cable. After chasing the cable marine grade TNC plug would then be connected to the passive GPS antenna's cable. A quality crimp/solder joint of signal conductor is critical to prevent signal loss.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply