Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] E140w connection to older mercury vessel view
04-06-20, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-20 07:51 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] E140w connection to older mercury vessel view
How do I connect my E140w to my 2011 vintage Mercury Smartcraft Vessel view? I bought a nmea 2000 mercury Gateway and all connections, not registering on VV. I put low water pickups on my Verado 350’s that don’t have pitot tubes. Therefore the only way to get speed and related info is to use GPS.

I now have been told that I need a NMEA 0183 connection from the MFD to the VV? Is this true, how do I do that, what parts do I need. Do you have instructions for me.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-20, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-20 08:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] E140w connection to older mercury vessel view
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Gyrene05,

Typically, engine gateways are designed to support only one way communications (engine => marine electronics) to prevent any possible erroneous transmissions to the engine system backbone. This is particularly important for fly by wire engine systems. When properly interfaced to the marine electronics, such engine gateways would permit the compatible marine electronics systems to display and utilize engine data. Should your engine system require Speed Over Ground (SOG) data, then one your MFD's NMEA 0183 output ports which has been configured for 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications may be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 port of your Vessel View system (consult your Vessel View documentation or your Mercury Marine dealer to determine if your system has a NMEA 0183 port and if so, where it may be located). As indicated within the diagram below from the E-Series Widescreen MFD's Installation Guide, your MFD features two bidirectional NMEA 0183 Ports. Accordingly, the NMEA 0183 output leads from either one of these two ports (yellow & brown or orange/yellow & orange/brown respectively) which has been configured for 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications may be used to provide SOG data to the engine system.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4337]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply