Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Question on T-connectors and ITC-5
04-07-20, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-20 12:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Question on T-connectors and ITC-5
Plus where do you get those fancy network layout icons? I can’t seem to find a “network diagram/tool” so apologies for the crude .PDF drawing.

Q1: Can T-Connectors be attached directly to each other. I see on the internet”diagrams” showing this, but it doesn’t look like they will fit together.

Q2: I currently have ST60+ instruments and transducers. My goal is to add new i70s (2) and and Axiom7 to the mix. I see that if the current system has 12v (yes, all is working fine) that I should NOT power the ItC-5 as well? *The Axiom7 I understand and have powered separately.

Q3/My plan is is split the transducers/12v signal/power, running one set of wires back to the existing instruments as they are still good and the second set of wires to the ITC-5 and then to the new i70s and Axiom. Attached is a rough diagram. Does it make sense? Thanks, Joel
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-20, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-20 04:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Question on T-connectors and ITC-5
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Joel,

Q1. where do you get those fancy network layout icons?
A1. The device icons appearing within the network diagrams of Forum's FAQ were produced by the author of those diagrams using Paint to reduce images from Raymarine's website and product manuals to contain only the product itself.

Q2: Can T-Connectors be attached directly to each other.
A2. SeaTalkng backbone spur connection components (T-Pieces, 5-Way Connectors, SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters, iTC-5, and SeaTalkng Inline Terminators) are not designed to be joined directly to one another. SeaTalkng backbone spur connection components are designed to be joined to one another via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable (shortest length is 400mm).

Q3a: I currently have ST60+ instruments and transducers. My goal is to add new i70s (2) and and Axiom7 to the mix. I see that if the current system has 12v (yes, all is working fine) that I should NOT power the ItC-5 as well?
A3a: Incorrect. It is recommended the SeaTalk bus be disconnected from its current source of power and that the SeaTalk bus instead be powered by the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. The power insertion spur for the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone should be located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.

Q3b. The Axiom7 I understand and have powered separately.
A3b. Correct.

Q4. My plan is is split the transducers/12v signal/power, running one set of wires back to the existing instruments as they are still good and the second set of wires to the ITC-5 and then to the new i70s and Axiom. Attached is a rough diagram. Does it make sense?
A4. This is incorrect. Please refer to my response to Q3. No diagram was attached to your thread. Please adjust the diagram to be consistent with this response and then attach to a new post to this thread. I will be glad to then review it.
04-07-20, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-20 04:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Attached

Also does the ng to st1 cable come longer than 1m? I see the kit but no options on cable length. Thanks, Joel

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Proposed Seatalk upgrade.pdf (Size: 160.12 KB / Downloads: 177)
04-07-20, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-20 11:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Joel,

Q1. Diagram attached.
A1. The attached diagram is a good initial attempt at determining the proper networking connections to be made in conjunction with the system upgrade. However, the following items are incorrect in that they do not reflect the information within my prior response, referenced FAQs, or other:

- the diagram indicates that transducers had previously been interfaced to the autopilot control head ... this is incorrect.

- the diagram does not show the autopilot course computer ... the diagram should be updated to show the autopilot course computer (name the model). The rudder reference transducer and fluxgate compass will need to remain interfaced to the autopilot course computer.

- the diagram incorrectly indicates that the autopilot control head will be daisy chained to the ST60 instruments. Please refer to the FAQ referenced with my prior response. Therein, you will find that it specifies that the autopilot control head(s) alone will be interfaced to one of the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk ports.

- the diagram should show that the daisy chained ST60 instruments will be interfaced to the SeaTalk socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter and that the other end of the daisy chain will be connected to the autopilot course computer's second SeaTalk port per the FAQ referenced with my prior response.

- the diagram indicates a backbone power insertion point which is not placed at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load (see link to FAQ within my prior response). It should be moved to spur socket located to the right of the SeaTalk socket within the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Q2. does the ng to st1 cable come longer than 1m?
A2. Negative. If the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit is of insufficient length, then it may be interfaced to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. The SeaTalk Junction Block would then be joined to the ST60 instrument daisy chain via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable having press-fit 3-pin plugs on each end.
04-08-20, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-20 10:35 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for your time. Too complicated. Axiom7 as stand alone unless it can’t get gps signal when installed. Not purchasing external antenna. Not getting signal on table now, so not that confident when the bad elf right next to it is. Stay safe and be well.
04-08-20, 10:58 AM
Joel,

Noted. While equipment installations / upgrades are commonly performed by customers who are comfortable with home and boat repairs and have had some experience with installing electrical devices, others may not feel comfortable with undertaking marine electronics installations / upgrades. To address the latter, Certified Raymarine Installers are available to perform equipment installations / upgrades. That said, many novice customers find that once they begin the process of installing / upgrading the system, that they find that they are indeed up to the task. The added benefit to customers who perform their own equipment installations / upgrades is a greater understanding of the system and its capabilities, but also how to troubleshoot it should any future problems arise. To support customers taking on this task, phone support (800.539.5539) and support through this Forum are available to fill in the blanks.