Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Updating from legacy components
04-07-20, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-20 12:41 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Updating from legacy components
Good day,
I am installing a new Axiom Pro 12 RVX MFD and two new i70s instruments connected via backbone to the single Device Net output on the back of the display. I will retain a ST6002 Auto Helm Smart Pilot in the system for now. I understand the ST6002 has it's own power supply and cannot be connected into the backbone for that reason? Is there a way to integrate the ST6002 into the new system...?
Thanks...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-20, 12:43 PM
RE: [CA11] Updating from legacy components
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Yachtmaster,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
04-10-20, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-20 08:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks,

I understand that the ST6002 must not be connected to the Seatalkng back bone but rather should be connected directly to the MFD using NMEA 0183. The Axiom Pro 12 RVX has a bulky input cable for NMEA 0183 on the back that includes +/- power, BNC and a cluster of seven various colored bare wires. How would the ST60002 be connected to those wires...? The ST6002 is the only legacy instrument I will be using in this upgrade, at least for now.....(other than wind and speed transducers with the ITC-5 converter)...

Thanks in advance....
04-10-20, 08:57 AM
Yachtmaster,

Q1. I understand that the ST6002 must not be connected to the Seatalkng back bone but rather should be connected directly to the MFD using NMEA 0183.
A1. This is not necessarily the case. A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter may be used to connect it's SeaTalk socket to one SmartPilot course computer's two SeaTalk port (use only the yellow and shield leads of the SeaTalk Cable. Alternatively, within relatively small systems featuring a SmartPilot / SPX autopiot in which the ST6xxx/ST7xxx/ST8xxx autopilot control head is closely located to SeaTalkng devices and autopilot control head's second SeaTalk socket is not currently being utilized, the autopilot control head may be interfaced to the SeaTalk socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. However, the SeaTalk cable connecting the autopilot control head to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter must be cut and then spliced back together, leaving its red leads unspliced. The cable's red leads will not be used and will be insulated to prevent shorting. Please additionally note that SmartPilot autopilot course computers transmit either 5Hz or 10Hz stabilized heading data from their NMEA 0183 Output Port 1. The OUT+ and OUT- terminals of this NMEA 0183 output port should be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 Port 1 IN+ (white) and IN- (green) leads respectively of the Axiom Pro 12 RVX MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable.

Q2. How would the ST6002 be connected to those wires...?
A2. If not opting for the solution specified in Q1, then the NMEA 0183 Port 1 IN+ and IN- terminals of the ST6xxx/ST7xxx/ST8xxx autopilot control head or autopilot course computer should be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 Port 1 OUT+ (yellow) and OUT- (brown) leads respectively of the Axiom Pro 12 RVX MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable.