Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] E120 Reinstall 4.30
05-09-20, 06:17 AM (This post was last modified: 05-13-20 01:07 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] E120 Reinstall 4.30
Installed an RD424 HD onto an existing dual E120 system using the new cable and latest software (5.69) upgrade.
All went well and the with Radar operating via both E120's responding to input from the MFD's as desired.
After about an hour I rxd a call from the owner saying he could not get either MFD to display radar.
Upon my return:
The radar icon remained greyed out. Once the warm up message indicated the unit was ready to transmit , it would not transmit
Voltage both under load and at the power connector appeared nominal. ~12.8 vdc.
Swapped ethernet ports on the HS switch no change there
Operation was fine with no issues with with either MFD during upgrade.
Returned TWO radars after figuring we had a bad RD424 resulting from a brief chat with support. We agreed later that 2 bad RD's were unlikely
THEN
Started to lose fix ~20 to 25 times per day trip.
My guy wants to go fishing.
I've successfully downgraded other (NON RAYMARINE) systems with success.
SO.....
Nextstep:
Contacted 1st level who opened case 200508-000043
2nd level recommended downgrade to 4.30
I cannot find a copy to download.
I do see issues raised about downgrades

Which is it ?
What are my next steps?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-20, 01:37 AM
RE: [TG11] E120 Reinstall 4.30
Hello JoeZInc,

Personally, I am not aware of any issues in v5.69 that would be resolved by downgrading to v4, and I would never recommend that someone do so. On E-Classic that's a 'safe' thing to do (not necessarily the case on other MFDs, for anyone else reading this - check first) but I don't think it will fix the issue. I was with Raymarine before E-Classic started and ran Support here in Australia all through the life of those displays and never ran into v5 causing those kinds of problems.

Although the two issues have occurred at a similar time, you need to assess them independently: coincidences happen, especially with 10+ year old electronics in a harsh environment.

I think that the most likely explanation for the radar problem is that somewhere between the scanner and the CPU in the display(s) you have a poor contact in your ethernet, specifically 1-way comms (an open-circuit or high impedance on one of the 4 comms lines) which means that the display is receiving at least some ethernet traffic (TCP radar scanner status showing Standby mode) but the radar appears not to be receiving your display's Transmit command.
This sort of partial comms problem is very common in older E-Series systems, with several possible points for problems:
  1. The connections into STHS switches are prone to poor contacts, and slight tarnishing over years of humidity which isn't obvious to the eye
  2. The connector into the radar is similarly open to slight surface tarnishing over the years - this would of course affect both radars you tried if they used the same cable.
  3. the grey STHS cables are prone to brittle breaks internally, and are sensitive to strain from kinks, tight bends, stretching or twisting, and problems can develop after years of vibration. This is one reason we discontinued that cable type in favour of Raynet.
  4. Over time, temperature-cycling and vibration, brittle breaks tend to develop in the two flexi looms that connect the CCFL/IO and CPU boards inside the E-Series. These carry the Ethernet and other traffic between the connector panel and the processor, including radar comms - and Seatalk or NMEA0183 GPS data...
Before dismissing any of these, it's worth bearing in mind that it doesn't take much to upset 100Mbit ethernet and that connections that look and work fine for lower-bandwidth data can fail when required to signal at 125MHz. A simple resistance check isn't good enough.

I don't know exactly what tests you've done, but I would:
  • Check whether you get the same radar behaviour on both displays - this would shed light on the point of (likely) poor connection
  • Use the GPS antenna's LED (if it's new enough to have one) and the GPS Status page on the MFDs to see whether the GPS is losing fix because of low satellite signal levels, or whether you're losing contact with the GPS entirely because of a network issue
  • check where the GPS connects (which display, which network type) and which display is the Master, and whether the owner is getting the Lost Fix alarm on both displays. This might also shed light on what data is going where.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply