Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Recalibration of wind instrument after iTc-5 software upgrade
05-21-20, 01:59 PM
RE: [TG11] Recalibration of wind instrument after iTc-5 software upgrade
Hi Tom - thank you for your reply. I have a few follow-up questions but first wanted to see if you can cancel another pending similar post under "Instruments". I am a little new to the forum so wasn't sure the first one went through and did a second. I don't want anyone duplicating efforts.

Here are my follow-ups ...

Quote 1 - I did the re-calibration after the software upgrade because the wind angle was way off immediately afterwards. Boat speed also needed to be re-calibrated.

Quote 2 - this makes sense to me that the wind speed is generally unaffected by the calibration process. I could not figure out how turning the boat in circles would have any input into wind speed:) I was looking at AWS (and TWS because I was at the dock so it was the same) later in the day. The only thing I can think of that changed from pre to post software upgrade is I did physically check the iTC-5 which is loosely mounted in my nav station. Does it seem plausible at all that it could be picking up some new electrical interference if it was moved slightly?

I am separately chasing an issue with either the fluxgate compass or SG2 course computer not giving me accurate heading info.. This existed prior to the software upgrade and there were no boat speed or wind speed/angle issues (other than GWA being not shown properly if I recall correctly). I hope to solve this in the not too distant future by replacing both fluxgate and course computer with an Evolution system. In the meantime, am I correct that a fluxgate compass issue would have nothing to do with the AWA reading or TWA calculation?

Finally, as I mentioned post software upgrade my boat speed calibration was also way off. I have done that calibration as well with the five input method using SOG. I am still not 100% sure it is correct (plan to test more this weekend), but the fact both boat speed and wind speed/angle were an issue after the software upgrade do you think this is pointing more towards an iTC-5 problem as compared to the transducers themselves? Any troubleshooting steps I should consider there?

Thanks,

tmass60
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] Recalibration of wind instrument after iTc-5 software upgrade - tmass60 - 05-21-20 01:59 PM