Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Recalibration of wind instrument after iTc-5 software upgrade
05-26-20, 10:16 PM
RE: [TG11] Recalibration of wind instrument after iTc-5 software upgrade
Hello tmass60,

Quote:Does it seem plausible at all that it could be picking up some new electrical interference if it was moved slightly?

It seems fairly unlikely. What I would guess might be more likely is disturbing an intermittent/partial contact in the windvane signal connectors or cabling.

Quote:am I correct that a fluxgate compass issue would have nothing to do with the AWA reading or TWA calculation?

Correct. Heading is used in Ground Wind calculations, but not true or apparent (there's some background on this here.) Do you already have an open question about the heading fault diagnosis? I am sure we can help with that one.

Quote:both boat speed and wind speed/angle were an issue after the software upgrade do you think this is pointing more towards an iTC-5 problem as compared to the transducers themselves? Any troubleshooting steps I should consider there?

If problems are resolved by recalibration then they're probably not caused by hardware faults, unless - in this instance - you had a developing problem with the ITC5's non-volatile memory storing the calibration values. This is something to keep an eye on until you gain confidence that the new values are retained for an extended period, but not something I would be concerned about now. Very occcasionally some product calibration/setup values can become reset (we saw this sometimes on older autopilots, for example) to default values as a result of - I believe - an unfortunate and coincidental power-cycle/reboot just at the time when the product was writing to its memory. In this rare circumstance then you could end up with an incomplete write and corrupted information, which the product would detect and reset to its defaults as a precaution. An ITC5 would be rebooted during a software upgrade: it's conceivable this reboot happened at just the wrong moment.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] Recalibration of wind instrument after iTc-5 software upgrade - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-26-20 10:16 PM