Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Recalibration of wind instrument after iTc-5 software upgrade
05-27-20, 02:14 PM
RE: [TG11] Recalibration of wind instrument after iTc-5 software upgrade
Thanks Tom for your reply. I agree that new electrical noise seems unlikely and I don't recall any power recycling or odd events during the software upgrade so odds are the iTC-5 is OK as well.

On the wind speed readings:
Based on your input I am starting to lean towards a masthead transducer issue. This last weekend I noticed mine was clearly spinning slower than a neighboring sailboat. I have no way of knowing of course if the other boat was calibrated correctly, but the difference in spin rate and the fact the other boat read 2-3 knots greater consistently seems like a good data point. I also now recall that last year I was seeing some odd true wind calcs at low wind speeds which to me anyway would seem to point to maybe some sort of resistance in the rotation of the transducer that is more overcome with higher wind speeds.

I did put my multi-meter on the connections at the base of the mast per https://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=97. 7.9 volts on red. Blue and green were slightly different - from recollection 4.6V and 5.2V - somewhat steady but the wind was steady direction as well so maybe that makes sense. Yellow was 1.8V but not sure this helps all that much if I have a masthead rotation issue seeing this voltage increases/decreases with speed.

I ordered a new masthead transducer and will let you know what I discover once installed. Based on the attached picture can you tell me if this is an "old" or "new" style connector? I read somewhere in the forum there is an o-ring on the old that needs to be removed but was unclear if it somehow had to be re-installed?

Seem like I am on the right track for the wind speed issue?

On the fluxgate compass heading issue:
I have not posted anything about this but found https://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=96. I purchased a replacement M81190 and will test both old and new. (I seem to recall I tested the current one last year when the problem initially appeared but have to admit I thought "screen to blue" was a typo and tested "green to blue" so my results didn't make sense.) The problem is much more consistent now compared to last year so we'll see. It is "screen" or the "non-insulated wire" to blue correct?

Thanks again,

Tony

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] Recalibration of wind instrument after iTc-5 software upgrade - tmass60 - 05-27-20 02:14 PM