Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Help with Axiom Upgrade
05-26-20, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-20 02:24 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Help with Axiom Upgrade
Hi Everyone,

I am attempting an Axiom upgrade due to C80 failure and was hoping to get some confirmation I am heading in the right direction.
My current setup is simple which is good:
C80, ST60, External GPS, Std Horizon VHF with DSC, (No Radar)

I ordered an Axiom 9 with charts and C80 back plate.

I am assuming that since the Axium9 has built-in GPS, I will no longer need external GPS. I do have to connect st60 and VHF(1083). I would like to add AIS transmitter in future, so I want to ensure my current purchases will accomodate AIS upgrade down the road.

To connect ST60, I ordered
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E1...0DER&psc=1
..And ..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G9...0DER&psc=1
***Since there is no hookup on the c80 for depth sounder, I assume it is connected to the ST60 and by connecting ST60 to backbone, the backbone will have access to that data?
*** Is this considered the backbone am I using that correctly?

Connecting 1083 VHF:
I currently own Standard Horizon (DSC) with an older connection I assume is 1083. Raymarine suggested I purchase Actisense converter - NGW-1-STNG to connect current VHF. would this connect into the Raymarine Seatalk1 to Sea Talk-Ng Converter linked above? Will I need to purchase a second product or can I use the same backbone for ST60 listed above?
Lastly, the NGW-1-STNG conveter is $200. Can't I simply purchase another VHF radio with MNEA2000 for less?
***If I plan on purchasing AIS transmitter and Axiom has built-in GPS, the only feature I should need on VHF is DSC, correct?

Thank you for any and all help,
Andrew
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-20, 02:37 AM
RE: [TG11] Help with Axiom Upgrade
Hello aporto,

Quote:I ordered an Axiom 9 with charts and C80 back plate.
I am assuming that since the Axium9 has built-in GPS, I will no longer need external GPS.

If you're using the adaptor plate, you will need an external GPS I'm afraid. The adaptor plate (for robustness and appearance) is anodised alloy and will block the GPS signals of the internal receiver.

Quote:***Since there is no hookup on the c80 for depth sounder, I assume it is connected to the ST60 and by connecting ST60 to backbone, the backbone will have access to that data?
*** Is this considered the backbone am I using that correctly?

Yes, if you use the E22158 ST1-STNG convertor and a Devicenet-STNG adaptor cable, that will share all compatible data - including depth - between the ST60s and Axiom, and is a fully functional backbone.

Quote:I currently own Standard Horizon (DSC) with an older connection I assume is 1083. Raymarine suggested I purchase Actisense converter - NGW-1-STNG to connect current VHF. would this connect into the Raymarine Seatalk1 to Sea Talk-Ng Converter linked above? Will I need to purchase a second product or can I use the same backbone for ST60 listed above?
Lastly, the NGW-1-STNG conveter is $200. Can't I simply purchase another VHF radio with MNEA2000 for less?

To use an existing NMEA0183 VHF you'd need the Actisense or equivalent, or you could of course replace the VHF with a SeatalkNG/NMEA2000 model, which is I think what I'd recommend. If you used the existing VHF then you can connect the NMEA0183-NMEA2000 interface to SeatalkNG via another one of the Devicenet-STNG adaptor cables you've already ordered (our part A06075.) To add an AIS as well later on, you'd need an extra spur socket in your backbone, which would entail a backbone cable and STNG 5-way junction block or T-piece.

Quote:***If I plan on purchasing AIS transmitter and Axiom has built-in GPS, the only feature I should need on VHF is DSC, correct?

Yes, excepting my comment above about the Axiom's internal GPS and the adaptor plate.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply